Ratted out...again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodhran

Burning Hunk
Feb 7, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
Got my 2nd visit by a city inspector last week. A neighbour says I'm selling firewood from my property . Anyway I really need to build a good f**k you fence as my neighbours think firewood is something from the past. Any ideas for a good solid fence? I live in the third windiest city in the world.

Last edited:
Are you selling firewood?

What exactly is the neighbors issue? Did you talk to them?

I'd put up a picket fence and then some trees or large shrubs to block the view over the fence.

Is it illegal to sell firewood in canada?

It was an anonymous complaint. I do sell a bit by the bag but delivery only. It's a little hobby that helps me buy more wood. Never have anyone come to the house.

Again I don't understand what the issue is, whether you sell it from your property or not.

Perhaps they want to you obtain some type of license? Seems a bit excessive. Neighbor needs to get a life.

Business run from your house on residential zoned property varies greatly from town to town. Some have has a lots of rules, some have none. Generally if it's kept out of site and doesn't create traffic the town doesn't come down on you until someone complains. You should be able to get a copy of the town ordinances. My town has them online.

Business run from your house on residential zoned property varies greatly from town to town. Some have has a lots of rules, some have none. Generally if it's kept out of site and doesn't create traffic the town doesn't come down on you until someone complains. You should be able to get a copy of the town ordinances. My town has them online.

Not to mention the millions in tax money you are beating them out of.

Sounds more like a hobby than a business.

The fact that your township would care makes me chuckle, you must live in a very small county!

I have a neighbour three houses up that trims his grass by the sidewalk with a pair of scissors. Nothing surprises me about living here.

And here we Americans thought you Canadians were all about the "live and let live" philosophy . . . maybe the guy who reported you is an American living abroad? ;)

I have a neighbour three houses up that trims his grass by the sidewalk with a pair of scissors. Nothing surprises me about living here.
Sounds like he needs a hobby, or a wife with a honey do list. I would never have enough time for that lmao! There's quirky people everywhere I guess!

Winds forecasted to gust to 140 km/h tonight and overnight. I guess I'll say good bye to what little fence remains.

Winds forecasted to gust to 140 km/h tonight and overnight.
_g That sounds like hurricane force winds. Stay safe, warm and indoors.

I would build my fence quite stout with 6x6 treated posts at least 2 ft deep and set on gravel. Run a piece of 1/2" rebar sticking out of the wood a few inches on both sides, below grade and then pour concrete around the foot and the rebar. Then make the slats staggered or at least with a gap to allow the wind to pass through them.

Last edited:
Reactions: bodhran
_g That sounds like hurricane force winds. Stay safe, warm and indoors.

I would build my fence quite stout with 6x6 treated posts at least 2 ft deep and set on gravel. Run a piece of 1/2" rebar sticking out of the wood a few inches on both sides, below grade and then pour concrete around the foot and the rebar. Then make the slats staggered or at least with a gap to allow the wind to pass through them.
That sound pretty good, but I'd put about 1/3 of the posts' length in the ground, depending on how high you want it. And closer together than usual. And you may even want to brace it every few posts given your windy climate. And be sure not to leave any knot holes in the slats, or that neighbor will probably be peeking through it.

And don't be surprised if you see a drone flying over now and then. Sounds like that kind of neighbor...

Sorry you have to put up with such chicken sht stuff as that. We live in a recreational area with lakes and campgrounds a few miles from us, and it seems like every other place has campfire wood for sale along those roads. Anyway, it sounds like a high privacy fence probably will go a long way for you.

Winds forecasted to gust to 140 km/h tonight and overnight. I guess I'll say good bye to what little fence remains.
Me thinks that second sentence sounds revealing. I'm envisioning an efficient little hobby wood processing area visible to neighbors and passerby's. What you look upon proudly, they look upon with disdain, no doubt shielding their children's eyes as they walk by.

To which I say "screw em!"

But if you do care, Lowes sells some 6' high by 8' wide wood stockade fence panels for about US$40 each. Don't get the $30 ones, they're half the picket thickness (0.375" vs 0.75"). I like to mate them to some galvanized steel posts, like the ones used for chain link fences. You could get the 8' Line Posts which would get about 3' in the ground, but in your wind zone you may have to sink in a mid-panel post for each section. Or get the 10' Terminal Post (corner post) instead.

I don't use the 4" wood posts anymore, I'm on my 3rd set of fence panels to the same set of steel poles put in the ground in the late 70's.

Tie the Stockade fence panel to the steel posts via some galvanized steel Tension Bands, and let the winds (or neighbors) blow!

Ignore him. Don't feed the trolls. These are miserable people that create drama to get personal fullfillment and try to use the local governments (likely over-reaching) laws to exert power where they have none.

Live and let live. But don't feed the troll.

Steel chain link fence posts and rails and solid panel fencing bolted to it stands up to hurricanes better than panels fastened to wooden posts.

Will do nothing for the sounds of firewood making though.

Got a friend or relative with some business space that will let you put a face cord of wood in a corner on a commercial property somewhere ?

Got one of those sob/dob in my neighborhood also

Steel chain link fence posts and rails and solid panel fencing bolted to it stands up to hurricanes better than panels fastened to wooden posts.

Will do nothing for the sounds of firewood making though.

Got a friend or relative with some business space that will let you put a face cord of wood in a corner on a commercial property somewhere ?
I have a friend who is on about 1.5 acres of land so will be storing wood there and taking it as I need it. I use an electric chainsaw and electric 5 ton splitter. Only spruce, balsam fir and some birch. No big stuff/other hardwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.