Rattling and vibrating during startup and operation, any suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmac80

Oct 27, 2014
New England
One of my other chief complaints is the noise my stove makes, it rattles, it vibrates, you often can hear the motors inside. Other times it is pretty quiet other than the fans blowing the hot air into the room and the noise of the active fire in the firepot. The latter is the ideal situation but right now when it is noisy (most of the time) my only move is to go over and play with the hopper lid or nudge the stove a little and it goes quiet for awhile...

Some of this rattling is to be expected due to all the moving parts, but I was wondering if there are any suggestions to make it run more quiet consistently?

It's a 7 year old Quadra Fire Sante Fe insert.

You'll get used to it - Turn up the volume on yer TV, or tell yer wife she's gittin' fat, ya won't hear it ...........

When the wifey complains about our Quads cacophony of hopper lid and baffle plate rattles, decorative door vibration, blower motor harmonics, auger crunching, fire pot whistling, tile hearth pad / stove foot vibration, etc, I *politely* remind her that the oil furnace, running in our dining room, would be loud, too. ;lol

Quads seem particularly notorious for this - ? mix of stove metal types, ? multiple metal panels with screw attachments, ? differential heating rates, ? metal warp over time, likely some or all of these...... I've heard some folks have placed high strength velcro in between the side plates and top plate areas to minimize metal to metal vibration, and heavy duty aluminum foil 'shims' in the heat exchanger baffle hook areas to minimize baffle vibration. Leveling the stove on the hearth may help also.

I like 'white noise', so it doesn't really bother me, but for some I guess it could be a deal (ie----> relationship) breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mind the "white noise" of the blower, etc, its the rattling/vibrating that bugs me. It's been more quiet lately since I replaced the rope and it has a strong seal when the door is closed. I may explore velcro and or other soft buffers as you suggested if needed.

It is time to start doing some hunting. Instead of just bumping the top to try and quiet things down, start checking parts to see where the noise is exactly coming from, to see if they need tightening up. When was the last time you cleaned either fan? If they get dirty enough, they will be out of balance. There have been times I have had to put a washer between frame and right back brick to keep it from vibrating, till it fills with ash. like any machine, parts and screws and bolts will loosen up. Time for some maintenance. Good hunting. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.