Raytek MT6 infrared temp sensor (the judge has arrived)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
My Raytek MT6 infrared scanner arrived 2 days ago and now I know where I stand on these magnetic temp gauges.. I find them accurate at some temps but as much as 100 degrees off at other temps.. As I suspected they are more accurate at mid range area as most analog type gauges tend to be.. The reviews at Amazon indicated the included pouch smells of chemicals etc. but I found this to be false in my case. In fact it's a pretty decent case in my opinion.. One thing I didn't know was how warm did my cultured stones were behind my stove get.. I have seen them hit 150 degrees or so and they have pretty decent mass retaining and releasing heat for quite a while.. I can see why the soapstone stoves perform as they do.. I really like how you can read the temp instantly and I will see how my magnetic gauges trend and adjust them to be accurate in the important range.. I procrastinated on which one to buy and settled on a brand I trusted and I am satisfied I made the right decision.. FYI the emissivity is fixed at .95 on this model which is fine for my purposes as I generally measure temps on dark objects. If you need to read temps on reflective objects get one that has adjustable emissivity ( I think BeGreen's gun can do that)

As an aside someone mentioned how it is fun using it with the cats and I gotta say it's worth the money for the entertainment value alone! LOL it's hilarious watching them run in circles and jumping up the walls at high speed lmao.. Had the whole family cracking up watching 3 cats flying through the house!
:lol:

Ray

I've had the same Raytek model as yours for 3 years now. The perfect cat toy as you said, but don't forget another off label use; determining the best refrigerator shelf to store your beer. I prefer a 40 degree location. Raytek finds it.

hard aground said:
I've had the same Raytek model as yours for 3 years now. The perfect cat toy as you said, but don't forget another off label use; determining the best refrigerator shelf to store your beer. I prefer a 40 degree location. Raytek finds it.

Yet another important use for the Raytek IR temp scanner! I just leave them on the deck as it is cold enough however sometimes it's too cold and they freeze :( I like the instant temp reading as the magnetics are slow to respond but I expect them to do that..

Ray

Never thought about the beer thing. "No, babe... that one's too warm. Down one shelf... to the right, to the right... yeah, that one."

I'll bet I can find the perfect temp for sake drinking as well.

My gun has adjustable emissivity, but I never change it. I wouldn't even know what to change it to. I once did a search for paint color emissivities and I found that color don't mean a damn with IR, but the paint brands varied somewhat depending on what was in them. Even then, they only varied between .90 and .95, so what would be the point? I can't even remember what brand paint we used last.

Here's a table from Raytek that shows that you may as well just point and shoot and not to worry about emissivity... unless you have a chrome stove or something.

http://www.raytek.com/Raytek/en-r0/IREducation/EmissivityNonMetals.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.