Re: A good week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I've had a fantastic week for scrounging.

Took the truck to work last week and picked up a load of green ash ... got quite excited when I thought I had found a decent sized white ash until I sawed into it and realized it was getting punky and wasn't worth hauling home.

On the way home I stopped at my Amish neighbor's place to talk about some road work and cutting the town was doing on our road and he told me he had permission to remove some cut wood from one of the landowners. When I asked if he thought the land owner would mind me taking some wood he said he didn't see why they would ... so I cut and hauled two pick up loads for him and two pick up loads for me. Even had one of the sons and daughters (who was quite strong) load up two of the loads. Yesterday we went back ... they got a load of hardwood and I grabbed the rest of the hardwood and finished the load off with some cedar and softwood. There is still some softwood and basswood available ... I'm still debating whether to grab this as well.

Finally I ran into a high school friend ... I had told him about my search for fire wood when he came up with a proposal. The long and short of it is that he has a 1100 tree sugar maple operation and was looking to get rid of the beech growing in the area. He didn't ask but I plan to split the wood 50-50 as he burns some firewood in his home, camp and in his sap evaporator.

Beech is some good stuff! NIce!

Lucky you!
Nice scores!

Status
Not open for further replies.