1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

RE: A reminder . . . do not use flammable fuels to ignite the wood in your stove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by firefighterjake, Nov 12, 2012.

  1. Danno77

    Danno77 Minister of Fire

    Oct 27, 2008
    Hamilton, IL
    Everybody knows you start a wood stove with an acetylene torch, anyway.
    StihlHead likes this.

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!

  2. firefighterjake

    firefighterjake Minister of Fire

    Jul 22, 2008
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
  3. BrianK

    BrianK Guest

    Hmmm. I once disposed of old muzzleloader black powder by wrapping up several pre-measured loads in a paper towel and tossing it into the hunting camp's burning fireplace. Very cool fireball in the fireplace. No hair loss, no alcohol involved. (We've played with black powder long enough to know what to expect, and how much is too much...)
  4. rideau

    rideau Minister of Fire

    Jan 12, 2012
    southern ontario
    Boiling water works.
  5. StihlHead

    StihlHead Guest

    I tried everything, including boiling water, and nothing worked on ground yellow jacket wasps here except burning them out. After runing over a yellow jacket ground condo development with the tractor bucket one day, and having to run as fast as I could (the tractor did not go fast enough, even in high) and I got stung about 10 times. I declared war on them after that. I used gas at first, a toss into the nest and light them at night. I soon changed over to a propane burner (Red Dragon weed burner), which is far better for your well water and run-off. If you have to dump gasoline on the nests, at least burn it and them and be better to your well water and any water run off. Its more fun as well, a free show. Though it is not legal in this state...

    I used to set off slash piles to burn them after logging as well. House size slash piles with cull logs and limbs, tops and trash trees. I would salvage what firewood I could, and I started them with kerosene, but that does not start fires very well. It is also really expensive. I used gas for a while, but that is the opposite; too explosive. So I got a propane burner and that was the ticket. Lots of heat where you want it on the end of a metal pipe. I used that to burn the wasps, slash piles, weeds, and do field burning. Great pyro tool. Cooks a wasp nest in less than a minute. Also good on hornet nests (bald faced wasps) in trees.
  6. mliiiwit

    mliiiwit Member

    Jan 4, 2012
    Southern KS
    You've proven yourself an ecological moron. If you have children, I hope you are not polluting them via your determined ignorance. One thing all land owners should realize is that they have a responsibility to all current and future LIFE of all forms to keep the ecology of the land as pure as possible. In the grand scheme, NO PERSON or CORPORATION owns any natural resource - you/they/it only have temporary false license to it.
  7. Tramontana

    Tramontana Burning Hunk

    Oct 23, 2012
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    FFJ- I'm left wondering if he (Mr. O'Leary) might have relatives in the Chicago area? :)
  8. Ashful

    Ashful Minister of Fire

    Mar 7, 2012
    Real productive. If you think someone is wrong, wouldn't you do better providing facts and information, to show them the error of their ways? I don't think you'd behave the same if we were face to face.

Share This Page