1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

RE: Airstone

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by firefighterjake, Apr 17, 2013.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Was thinking about putting up some stone work . . . or faux stone . . . in back of the woodstove since the drywall there keeps cracking from the heat.

Was wondering if anyone has used this . . . or if there would be any concerns . . . it uses an adhesive that claims to be good up to 120 degrees. I think I would also feel better about putting it on to Durock vs. sticking it up against drywall. Thoughts?

http://airstone.com/

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    What is your clearance that the drywall is cracking... I'd be concerned about that more than anything else..
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Clearances are not an issue . . . I actually exceeded the clearance requirements by a few inches. It's just that the Jotul Oslo is a beast of a heater!
  4. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
    why not go to faux stone that uses mortar? it is fairly easy to do, I did about 3000 sq ft on the exterior of the house and inside on the steps and fireplace.
    still I would think 120 degrees would be sufficient, I do not think you would see those temps. also the cracking peeiling issue is probably more from dryness than heat IMO