RE: Another one . . . sadly . . . bites the dust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty good Jake. Our elm is lucky to get 25 years before it dies.

I work for the city and the only way I can get any of the wood from trees they cut down is to fight the public for them at our landscape waste facility.
You would think I could get some of that first.......Nope :-S It could be worse though. My son lives about 30 minutes South of me and his city will not let you use a chain saw at their landscape waste facility. If you can get the log in your truck you can have it. But you can't use a chain saw to cut them down to size.

tfdchief said:
My son lives about 30 minutes South of me and his city will not let you use a chain saw at their landscape waste facility. If you can get the log in your truck you can have it. But you can't use a chain saw to cut them down to size.

I've seen that before.Back about 10 yrs ago was low on wood & because of deep snow couldnt get to the woods to cut any snags. I answered a classified ad for 'free oak,you haul'. It was at a local private golf course in older weathy area on southside of town.Mostly Bur Oak,thing is after I finally found the head guy in their shop he then showed me what I COULD take - 'NOTHING that required using chain saws or other 'dangerous equipment - hand tools only'. :-S :lol: Just a few random branches 3"-5" diameter,up to 10 ft long,and a couple half rotten big crotch pieces- 2 ft across & almost 4 ft long.How the Hell they expected anyone to cut that in two with a bow saw was beyond me.The fact that I politely explained to him that "I have over 15 yrs experience using all kinds of forestry equipment,including climbing & cutting,arguably more than YOU or anyone on your payroll...." didnt phase him either. But you wouldnt believe the pile of prime Bur Oak that they had just a few feet away - easily 4-5 cords,all unsplit with diameters from 10" to 30". Probably saved for the 'special members' or something. :shut:

Chalk up another one to ignorant sue- happy people & greedy lawyers.

/] Rant over lol

Thistle said:
Chalk up another one to ignorant sue- happy people & greedy lawyers.

/] Rant over lol
Yep, I think the liability is exactly what they are worried about. Although, I doubt that is a case you could win against a municipality, but I am not a lawyer or the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.