RE: Another question . . . chimneys this time around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I apologize for asking so many questions . . . it's just that's it been some time since I heated with wood and back then I had an over-sized woodstove that I just pretty much ran haphardly (both since it was a non-EPA wood burner and since I was a young and foolish college grad who really had no clue as to what he was doing or if things were even up to code.)

My questions this time around are about chimneys. I've read quite a few threads about chimneys and realize that interior chimneys are preferred over exterior chimneys for the added heating ability and to help maintain the draft. I've also read that fewer elbows and bends = better draft.

If my wife and I go with a free-standing woodstove the area in the house where we're hoping to place this stove is in a corner. It seems as though we would have a couple of choices with regards to metal pre-fab chimneys.

Choice A: Route the chimney straight up, into the second floor and an unheated/but insulated closet and/or knee wall void area.

Choice B: Route the chimney up and then exit through the rear wall and then up the side of the house.

It seems as though Choice A would mean fewer (well zero) elbows which would help with draft. However, would the added work to go through a floor and the roof (with the potential to create an area that could leak in the future) be worth it? Would this choice offer up any heating advantages . . . or would it be just a draft advantage. Finally, how does a person sweep their chimney if there is no T-pipe clean out (I'm used to masonry chimneys with clean out doors at the base.)

Choice B would be simpler for me in some ways with only one hole to cut in the wall and no worries about penetrating the roof and I know a clean-out could be added, but would the increased exposure to the cold result in problems with creosote, getting drafts, etc.

Finally, would there be any advantage to going to Choice B and building a masonry chimney in place of a pre-fab metal chimney?

As always . . . thank you for attempting to educate me. . . .

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 237
Option A for sure. Better draft, less opportunity for creosote buildup, easier to clean, less expensive, looks better, etc.

BeGreen said:
Option A for sure. Better draft, less opportunity for creosote buildup, easier to clean, less expensive, looks better, etc.

+1

Aye on option A. Its a no brainer. Why make it uglier & more difficult than need be?

Option A it will be then . . . my only question then (and it may be a stupid one) . . . how does one clean their chimney without a T- in the metal pipe or a clean out door in a masonry chimney. Do you sweep the chimney and the creosote is deposited into the stove?

firefighterjake said:
Option A it will be then . . . my only question then (and it may be a stupid one) . . . how does one clean their chimney without a T- in the metal pipe or a clean out door in a masonry chimney. Do you sweep the chimney and the creosote is deposited into the stove?

Yep! Shop vac it out when done.

firefighterjake said:

Make the last lower pipe an adjustable slip pipe section. Then it's easy to lift her up off the stove and put a bag around the end.

BTW: this old thread just was resurrected. Did you get a chance to see what can happen with Option B?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6717/

Just throwing my vote out for option A as well. This is my setup and it was quite easy to do. Performs better and looks better. The telescoping pipe that BG mentioned is the route I'm going with now as well.

Simple, simple, simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.