RE: As promised . . . my ugly stacks of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Well since at least one member wanted to see my ugly stacks of wood . . .

Yeah, they're not pretty . . . tipping this way and that way, bulging here and there . . . but that's OK . . . to me that means they're drying up nicely since they originally were stacked more or less pretty neatly -- really I didn't stack the wood like this originally . . . and yeah, there's wood in there with crotches, bends and stuff that looks like it was chewed up by the splitter and spit out . . . it ain't pretty . . . but it heats the house.

From here the wood will go to my woodshed this Fall . . . seasoned outside for a year . . . and then most likely it will get another 4-12 months of seasoning depending on how the wood left over in the woodshed lasts.

Attachments

• uglystacks1.jpg
    uglystacks1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 573
  • uglystacks2.jpg
    uglystacks2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 562
Ha ha! They look pretty good to me. I think mine are uglier.....

firefighterjake said:
Well since at least one member wanted to see my ugly stacks of wood . . .

Yeah, they're not pretty . . . tipping this way and that way, bulging here and there . . . but that's OK . . . to me that means they're drying up nicely since they originally were stacked more or less pretty neatly -- really I didn't stack the wood like this originally . . . and yeah, there's wood in there with crotches, bends and stuff that looks like it was chewed up by the splitter and spit out . . . it ain't pretty . . . but it heats the house.

From here the wood will go to my woodshed this Fall . . . seasoned outside for a year . . . and then most likely it will get another 4-12 months of seasoning depending on how the wood left over in the woodshed lasts.

They look fine to me, dry wood is dry wood.

Zap

Looks like one of mine fell down for the 2nd time last night.

Jake, mine start doing that when the weather gets warmer, like it is now. We get a little "shrinkage" goin' on.
I tend to put the uglies on the top of the stack, then sometimes, those end up in the firepit.

Looks good to me. How do you throw into such a neat pile on pallets from the splitter?

These are nice stacks - they're still standing!
I've got some twisty pine and yellow birch that don't stack well, either, but they burn nicely!
When I haul ashes out of my nice warm home, I can't tell if they came from neat stacks or ugly stacks....
Happy burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.