Q&A Re: BTU values of wood species

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I've been searching the web for probably two years trying to find a chart listing the BTU values of various wood species. I'm hoping that you- with the seemingly endless amount of data- will be able to help me out. I live in the upper Midwest and heat about 3600 sq. ft of barn converted to my home. We have 24 acres of mixed forest including both hard and soft Maple- Black Walnut- White Black and Red Oak- and an occasional Hickory trees. In the passed 3 years that we've lived here- we've gone through about 25 cords of wood and 2500 gallons of LP gas per season to keep the place reasonably warm. It sometimes seems like a never ending battle to keep up with the woodpile. I've searched your site for the information- which is mentioned- but not been able to locate it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance- JAS

Answer:

John- you know you are right- I don't have ALL the data in the site yet, but here's the scoop:Soft maple 18.7 Million BTU per cord Red oak 24 Million BTU per cord White Oak 25.7 Million per cord Sugar Maple (hard) 24.0 Million BTU per cord. Sorry- don't see Black Walnut listed- but I assume it's up there with these.The important thing is how efficiently you burn the wood. The cord of good wood contains as much heat as 250+ Gallons of LP gas....if you burn it right !

Status
Not open for further replies.