RE: Buying a computer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Jags said, caps popped. Only happened to me once out of many, many, and I don't remember the brand of board. Might have been a Gigabyte.:mad:
Asus has a good rep. It's time Jake, it's time.:cool:
Can we has pics when you get your new 'puter?==c

I just had similar problem with a similar computer (HP Pavilion A1523W). It was given to me DOA. The first problem was the power supp was bad, replaced that and nothing but BSOD. Running Memtest 86 came up with tons of errors, replaced the RAM, same thing. Turns out it was the mother board, found a good deal on a used mobo complete with processor on Ebay. I installed that an now it is working fine.:)

Now I realize that I probably spent more time and money fixing an older computer than the thing was worth but it was a learning experience, and I did not wanted to be defeated by a machine.;ex

I replaced a motherboard on the first computer I built after it served well for about 5 years. I bought a referb on ebay and did a simple switch out on the motherboard. Which also allowed for no other work needed, no reinstall, nada. Had to use the same brand and model of motherboard though. These days, to me it just ain't worth sustaining an older puter thats already limping along. It is only a matter of time till it completely dies.

I appreciate hearing the comments about desktops that folks like and dislike . . . was leaning towards Dell as I had . . . well still have . . . an older Dell that is working very well.

Buddy recommended the Asus . . . had not really heard much about this brand.

I've had several Dells over the years, and they were just about bulletproof. Excellent hardware, IMO. Windows, on the other hand...

I have a white box system the motherboard is an ASUS unit and it has been stable for the last 8 years, as for the OS it ain't 'doze in any flavor, 'doze has never been on the machine.

Whatever you get, please consider a back up plan. I have had at least 6 computerts bite the dust and lost data. I now back up everything. There is more to loose than the computer. I do some per diem work from home that is time based. I can afford a machine that is having indigestion.
One other thing, Go for HD. The resolution is fantastic and much easier on the eyes. I sit and stare at numbers for hours on end. For me a desk top allows for more ease of function. A laptop is ok for short burst, but not for correct hand eye coordination. Do you do games in the computer? That opens a whole other can of worms.

Update . . . my HP sits in a corner of my office just waiting for me to cannibalize it (one friend is planning on building a computer so I figure I would give him the case and some of the other parts if he wants.)

I skimped by with my very old Dell that had very little RAM . . . I tried to get by for a bit by stuffing as much memory as I could into it -- but even that was only 1 GB and on some websites like Facebook it ran very, very, very slow.

And so, after doing some research and deep thinking . . . although passerbys at work may have mistook this for napping . . . I ended up going to Best Buy and getting an Asus with 6 GB of Ram and an I-5 second generation processor with 1 TB of storage. First impressions -- a bit smaller than previous computers and holy o hell is it fast . . . going from the 1 GB Dell to the 6 GB of Asus has made me feel like going from a Yugo to a Corvette . . . heck, it's even faster than the 3 GB HP (guess I would rate that as a nice Honda Accord.) Thought some about getting something much bigger, but in the end I decided I can always add memory, a video card, etc. if I so choose . . . price was right at a little over $500.

Reactions: PapaDave and save$
Its the I-5 that is giving you the head rush.

Sounds like you got yourself a pretty respectable unit. I-5 at 6Gigs of ram with a T of hard drive...that'll do.;lol

Good deal. Only thing I don't get is that Best Buy charges to put the basic microsoft office in. When I got my unit from them it was included, but no more, But anyone can go on on google mail and get a compatible word and exel programs for no cost.
When you can, consider an external back up drive. No more lost data when you computer fails you. I've owned a dozen computers and they all fail at some point, or I brake them. With a back up I can easily access my saved files. Goodluckwith your new computer.

Good choice, enjoy. You don't know how slow those old puters are, until you get a decent new one. Then there is no going back. Congrats.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.