1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

RE: Dish Network TV

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by firefighterjake, Apr 9, 2013.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Thanks Mike . . . I'll keep you in mind.

At this point we are exploring TV via the internet . . . or Dish . . . based on what I have seen from a lot of folks Time Warner is not well loved.

As for DirecTV (many folks have had good luck with them and I understand) . . . had no issues until recently with three visits and the same problem happening each time. If the folks had agreed to offering me something more than a pittance for the hassle of losing the service, having to cut down a tree to try to solve the problem and take time off from work I would probably still be with them . . . but they were not willing to offer up something a bit closer to what I was looking for and then to add insult to injury were threatening to charge me close to $500 for terminating service with them even though I was quite clear when we upgraded that there was no contract and signed no paperwork.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    Jake sorry when I gave my advice, I misread your original post, and I did not see where you had a issue with direct tv. Good luck with your choice, and It will all work out for you and your family.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Update:
    We're on Day 3 or 4 with the Roku and streaming TV from Hulu Plus and Netflix along with other sources. So far, so good. Not as many shows are in high def . . . and I typically have to wait the next day to watch some shows . . . and there have been some shows that have had to buffer for a bit . . . but overall my wife and I are quite happy.

Seems as though we actually have access to more shows than we had before . . . saving quite a bit of money . . . thinking of getting a second Roku for the bedroom in fact.

And . . . believe it or not . . . after my wife got the Better Business Bureau involved DirecTV not only agreed that a mistake was made on their part with their early cancellation fee (which was laughable since we have not had a contract with them in years and when we attempted to upgrade to high def I made sure that there was no contract and signed no paperwork) . . . but in addition to telling us that we didn't owe them anything they agreed that they owed us a refund.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Youch!