RE: DIY Network Blog Cabin Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Took a look at DIY Network's Blog Cabin that was built here in Maine . . . funny folks . . . their idea of a "cabin" is my idea of a very, very nice home.

In any case, on the on-line "tour" I saw what looks like a woodstove . . . Harman perhaps? Maybe some of you Harman fans could tell me if this is in fact a woodstove . . . and if it is a newer or older stove?

One thing I did note is that if this is a woodstove it seems to be missing one very important safety feature . . .

You got a link or somethin'?

Yeah, found it. It is a gas stove. Looks to be a VC.

A cast-iron, direct-vent gas stove replaces the home's circa-1980s brick fireplace. Fan and flame levels are controllable via remote, and operable glass doors lend ambiance.

BC12_Living-Room-15-Window-Stove-JDK8109_s4x3_lg.jpg

Cabin?

The stove would look less silly sitting on something. Even a rug. Doesn't look right on bare hardwood.

Doesn't look like a cabin, I agree...I like the barn!!

Nice stove...but it does look odd without a hearth pad of some type. Of course, we don't have one under the one DV stove at the Old House either-but it's a pedestal instead of on legs. Looks a bit less odd that way. Plus it looks like there's a chair nearby, and it's facing AWAY from the stove. Silly.

I NEVER, EVER should have clicked the link. Someone aughta be whacked in the head for that whole place. Using reclaimed wood doesn't make up for all the atrocities of "design". ICK. And seriously, an 1800's farm house is NOT a cabin.

I NEVER, EVER should have clicked the link. Someone aughta be whacked in the head for that whole place. Using reclaimed wood doesn't make up for all the atrocities of "design". ICK. And seriously, an 1800's farm house is NOT a cabin.

I guess that would make my 1700's farm house a hut? :)

I guess when I win the place I'll be yanking out the gas stove and putting in a proper woodstove. ;)

I guess that would make my 1700's farm house a hut? :)

Lol, no, it would make it a HOUSE. Not a cabin, nor a cottage. Unless maybe it's a VERY small farmhouse...which I believe it is not from reading other threads :)

I just can't believe they removed that barn...Considering what else they did, I'm surprised they didn't keep it and make THAT the media room...or following the rest of it...a "great room".

Lol, no, it would make it a HOUSE. Not a cabin, nor a cottage. Unless maybe it's a VERY small farmhouse...which I believe it is not from reading other threads :)

Ha - with Bbar's quarter of a million btu - if that place was small it would be called the sauna house.;lol

Huh, cabin my patootie.

Ha - with Bbar's quarter of a million btu - if that place was small it would be called the sauna house.;lol

Good god, I never thought of it that way! That seems ridiculous. Well, it IS ridiculous, but I'm warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.