Q&A Re: double wall vs single wall stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I CURRENTLY HAVE DOUBLE WALLED STOVEPIPE ON MY WOODSTOVE. IWOULD LIKE TO INCREASE MY HEAT OUTPUT BY SWITCHING TO SINGLE WALLED PIPE.I REALIZE I WILL HAVE TO INSTALL A WALLSHEILD TO DO THIS. MY QUESTION IS HAVE THERE BEEN ANY STUDIES ON THE AMOUNT OF HEAT GAIN PER FOOT OF CONNECTER PIPE BETWEEN THE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES , BY THE WAY I HAVE FOUND YOUR WEBSITE VERY HELPFUL IN THE PAST. THANKS IF YOU HAVE ANY IMFORMATION FOR ME.

Answer:

As with most things, it depends. The heat gain is mostly found in the first 3-4 feet of pipe, after that it probably cools too much...

BUT, it also depends on the stove model. Some put more heat up the chimney than others. In general, non-catalytic stoves put more heat up the chimney than cat stoves.

I think it would be a fair guess to say that a 10-15% gain is possible in many circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.