RE: Dumb question of the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I have a friend (don't snicker) who is draining his oil tank and he has offered me the remaining oil.

Question . . . and probably a dumb one . . . can I use my empty gas cans to transfer the oil from his oil tank and then dump the fuel into mine?

I guess what I'm really asking is . . . there is no issue with any gasoline residue and vice versa when I get ready to refill the gas cans with gasoline after doing the oil exchange? I would rather not buy a can just for this one time use . . . but I also don't want to have my oil boiler have an issue in the short or long-term if the gasoline residue is problematic.

Gas in the oil is worse than a little oil in the gas. Make sure your tanks are pretty empty of gasoline and there should be no issues. Whatever oil is left when you refill your gas cans you can consider cheap upper cylinder lube.

No harm - no foul.

Edit: remember that if he pulls the plug to empty the oil tank you are getting unfiltered, bottom of the barrel stuff. This may be of no concern, but just something to keep an eye on as you transfer the fuel.

Reactions: flyingcow
I have a friend (don't snicker) who is draining his oil tank and he has offered me the remaining oil.

Question . . . and probably a dumb one . . . can I use my empty gas cans to transfer the oil from his oil tank and then dump the fuel into mine?

I guess what I'm really asking is . . . there is no issue with any gasoline residue and vice versa when I get ready to refill the gas cans with gasoline after doing the oil exchange? I would rather not buy a can just for this one time use . . . but I also don't want to have my oil boiler have an issue in the short or long-term if the gasoline residue is problematic.

Yes. Residue in the empty gas can will be minimal at best on the first load, then non-existent . Drain through the filter only, when that stops consider the tank empty for your purpose.

If they are truly empty there is no 'residue'. ==c

Residue from an 'empty' gas can usually evaporates pretty quick with the cap off.

I used to get diesel for my sister's tank several times a Winter when she'd run out on a Saturday night with a 18.9 liter gas can. I would leave the cap off so it was bone dry.

Its fine as long as there is no liquid gas in there. If it still kinda smells like gas but you cant see or swoosh around any gas in there then you are good to go. I've been doing this for years. cans have had gas, diesel, oil and kerosene all in the same can at different times. I just make sure there is no measurable amnt of liquid left before I switch fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.