1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

RE: Facebook Question

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by firefighterjake, Jan 3, 2012.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I'm the Administrator for our fire department Facebook account and I have it set up so that only myself and one of our Assistant Chiefs are the administrators . . . which should in theory mean that we are also the only ones who can approve new members (and in fact the FB page I checked just a few minutes ago under "Security" says only I and this Chief can approve new members.

However, over the weekend, one of the members somehow approved new members . . . do any Facebook experts know how this happened? It was no big deal in this case, but I just want to make sure that in the future this is not a problem.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Unless someone else made him a moderator, he should not be able to approve new members. Pull up the list of members- there's a button that says "Make Administrator"- make sure they're unchecked.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Wait- is this a group, or is it a fan page sort of deal? They are a bit different.
  4. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Group Page I believe . . . and this member is not checked as an administrator.
  5. PA Fire Bug

PA Fire Bug Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Blair County, PA
    The new Facebook groups allow any member to add other members. I'm pretty sure that they can add them even without their consent.
  6. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    D'oh . . . that's kind of dumb . . . kind of defeats the whole idea of having an administrator/moderator for the group . . . in my opinion.
  7. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Check the privacy settings but I don't think it will change anything. As a "secret" group you eliminate the public from finding it and asking to join, but each member still can approve requests. As moderator you are the only one that can eliminate them though.
  8. UMainah

UMainah Member

Loc:
    Bangor, ME
    I just looked at the settings of a group I'm an admin for(I created it). There is a check box that says "Membership Approval: []Only admins can approve requests to join."
    If you select this box, you should be set.
  9. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    That part is checked . . . and was checked . . . and a member who is not an administrator was still able to approve folks.
  10. UMainah

UMainah Member

Loc:
    Bangor, ME
    After reading it again I see that it only applies to requests and not invites from members...
  11. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    You will just have to delete unsavory characters as the admin. I'd start with anyone who doesn't own a wood stove.
  12. UMainah

UMainah Member

Loc:
    Bangor, ME