RE: Facebook Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I'm the Administrator for our fire department Facebook account and I have it set up so that only myself and one of our Assistant Chiefs are the administrators . . . which should in theory mean that we are also the only ones who can approve new members (and in fact the FB page I checked just a few minutes ago under "Security" says only I and this Chief can approve new members.

However, over the weekend, one of the members somehow approved new members . . . do any Facebook experts know how this happened? It was no big deal in this case, but I just want to make sure that in the future this is not a problem.

Adios Pantalones said:
Wait- is this a group, or is it a fan page sort of deal? They are a bit different.

Group Page I believe . . . and this member is not checked as an administrator.

The new Facebook groups allow any member to add other members. I'm pretty sure that they can add them even without their consent.

aroth said:
The new Facebook groups allow any member to add other members. I'm pretty sure that they can add them even without their consent.

D'oh . . . that's kind of dumb . . . kind of defeats the whole idea of having an administrator/moderator for the group . . . in my opinion.

Check the privacy settings but I don't think it will change anything. As a "secret" group you eliminate the public from finding it and asking to join, but each member still can approve requests. As moderator you are the only one that can eliminate them though.

I just looked at the settings of a group I'm an admin for(I created it). There is a check box that says "Membership Approval: []Only admins can approve requests to join."
If you select this box, you should be set.

dtaylor said:
I just looked at the settings of a group I'm an admin for(I created it). There is a check box that says "Membership Approval: []Only admins can approve requests to join."
If you select this box, you should be set.

That part is checked . . . and was checked . . . and a member who is not an administrator was still able to approve folks.

You will just have to delete unsavory characters as the admin. I'd start with anyone who doesn't own a wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.