Re facing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacktop

Feb 1, 2008
northeast
I'm in the process of refacing my fireplace It currently is brick faced up to about 4' and I have noticed the brick was pulling away from the chimney due to poor installation from the previous owner. The heat was going up the back of the brick and almost caused a fire.

I will be using solid cement block (4X8X16) then I will be covering it with stone or somthing similar.

My question is can I put the cement block directly up to the opening of the fireplace or do I need to have the opening surrounded with a layer of firebrick and then the cement block from there out. A wood stove insert is going to be put in when finished.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 245
Status
Not open for further replies.