RE: For your consideration . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Free-standing stoves that I am giving some serious looks at in my home (1,500 sq. foot downstairs, 300 sq. foot upstairs (with bedroom doors shut) -- standard insulation for the decade it was built 1970s, relatively open construction, etc.) . . . We will most likely be burning evenings/weekends.

Hearthstone Bennington: I liked this stove for its convection properties, side loader and looks . . . but just about every single review at hearth.com (granted there were just a handful) did not give this stove a very favorable review. Any owners have any different opinions? Also, would this stove be too large for my use?

Hearthstone Shelburne: My wife liked this stove for its looks. I have to admit I also liked the look of the stove as well as the fact that this stove seemed to be a bit "thinner" in depth compared to other similar sized stoves. Any additional opinions besides those posted at the review section?

Jotul Oslo: I liked the look of this stove and the features (i.e. side loading door) and it seems as though a lot of folks are pretty happy with their Jotuls . . . but I'm always up to reading other good/bad experiences.

Quadrafire Cumberland Gap: Another stove that I'm considering . . . and looking for opinions.

Finally, I didn't originally consider it, but it seems as though a lot of folks here like the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5s. While the local dealer hasn't exactly impressed me, I am intrigued to know if the steel/cast iron hybrid really heats up faster than cast iron, but holds the heat longer than an all steel stove.

Final thought . . . this has been a very educational experience . . . and already I'm noticing a troubling trend as I've seen salespeople at more than one store tell me something that conflicts with something I've read here or something published by the manufacturer . . . which makes me wonder just how knowledgable some of these guys really are with their product.

As always, thank you to all who have some thoughts and are willing to take the time to share their thoughts.

Buyer beware - after all, they are sales people

You have named some very nice stoves. If you plan on heating the entire 1800 sqft that you stated, in a moderately insulated home, I would suggest a 2.4 cu ft. or larger firebox. This would also facilitate overnight burns if you wanted.

I don't own any of your questioned stoves, so I cannot reply directly, but it sure looks like you are on a good path for wood heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.