RE: Homemade splitter . . . on a manure spreader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
A while back someone asked me to get a pic of Dad's old wood splitter that he mounted on a manure spreader -- a bit unconventional, but it seems to work for him . . .or at least it did when he was actively burning wood.

A little history. This was the first hydraulic woodsplitter in town to my Dad's knowledge . . . built by himself out of spare parts and pieces back in the late 1970s or early 1980s. Dad has always been a tinkerer and was able to get some of the parts from the mill where he worked . . . the piston came out of a Case tractor or dozer loading arm. Originally, the hydraulic hoses connected to an old Ford tractor hydraulics, but like many things (such as the handle) Dad has changed things over time so that this now has an hydraulic oil tank and runs off a tractor's PTO shaft.

Originally this was mounted on a three-point hitch, but at some point Dad decided to mount is crossways in front of the old horse-drawn manure spreader . . . the idea being that he could split the wood, toss the splits into the trailer and then use the ratcheting mechanism of the spreader to pull the splits to the back without needing to get in and out of the trailer repeatedly.

As I said, Dad isn't using the woodsplitter much these days since his house burned down from the OWB . . . that's a whole other story. I think he mostly uses the whole get up now mostly as a trailer based on the fact that he had a bunch of junk in the trailer when I took these pics last night.

Attachments

• splittersmaller.jpg
    splittersmaller.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 519
  • splitter3.jpg
    splitter3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 456
  • splitter2.jpg
    splitter2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 548
Wow! That thing is awesome! Right up my alley.

Remember, it isn't a "manure spreader" - it's a "political speaking platform"....

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Remember, it isn't a "manure spreader" - it's a "political speaking platform"....

Gooserider

That is why it has such a heavy axle.

That's sweet. Extend the tongue of the trailer, rotate the splitter, put an 8 way wedge and a log lift on it. Might have to extend the sides as it would fill up pretty quick.

Thanks a lot jake. For reminding me of all those days in the Texas summer heat pulling that crap spreader with a hot breeze to my back. After mucking the cow lots to fill the thing. The only way it could have been worse is to have not had a tractor to do it with. Mule farts added to it would have just about been more than I could stand. :mad:

And they wonder why I caught a bus right after high school... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.