RE: Horse manure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll definitely keep an eye on the plants for any signs.
Good info,
Thanks.

I guess I got that one wrong.

I've never heard of using herbicides on hay crops anywhere I've lived. I know they're out there, but not at all common. But then hay is kind of an afterthought around here, as opposed to some areas where it is more of a major crop.

When one says hay, that is just a general term. There are many types and of course alfalfa and clovers are what most folks think of but even in clovers there are many types, like red, white, dutch, ladino, etc.

I would think it would depend on how well the horses eat. like Backwoods says many kinds of "hay"..

around here stables are real picky. people with horses have money too.

I have put HM down then covered with black plastic if I only had a short time till planting. the sun will cook the seeds pretty quick..

some say you will also cook out valuable stuff too.. but it will cook the seeds... if it is real hot it will only take a couple weeks...

JMO

Backwoods Savage said:
When one says hay, that is just a general term. There are many types and of course alfalfa and clovers are what most folks think of but even in clovers there are many types, like red, white, dutch, ladino, etc.

Very good point. The pesticide laden stuff that I remember hitting here was premium, weed-free timothy. The horse were classy no expense spared Arabians. If the poop is coming from ole Bessy, out mowing the field, it probably is a lot better and safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.