RE: Hurrah . . . now working on 2013-2014 wood supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
What is happiness . . .

Happiness is finishing up your 2012-2013 wood supply . . . any cutting done this Fall will now be wood for 2013-2014 . . . it's amazing how much you can do even if you just do a little bit at a time over the course of a year.

Oh yeah . . . happiness is also coming home from work on a cold, rainy day only to open the door and have a nice warm house . . . and think your wife was cold and fired up the oil boiler . . . only to find she fired up the wood stove a few hours earlier . . . I tell ya . . . I love that gal.

Congrats....funny thing, I was feeling pretty good about having 2011-2012 almost taken care of last night. :long:

It's funny, I think about firewood like I think about finances, often. Although I'm not quite as far ahead as Jake I do enjoy working on the wood I do have, I consider the 'wood pile' a therapy session with benefits. I enjoy the work and twice enjoy the rewards, theres nothing like the feel of wood stove heat. As well as the cost savings from it too.

My storage racks for summer drying are 12 ft long and 6 ft high. The 9 racks I have now are full of dry oak and maple for this seasons burn. I transfer my attached screened in porch (12x12 off the rear of the house) into wood storage in the fall. Currently I have tarped the inner porch screens and I will stack approx. 3-4 cords on the deck as the winter storage area. Next years stock is in the rear of the yard in a pile, it is cut and split and partially dried. So I'm good for 2011-2012.

I just experienced that same happiness recently as well. Congrats and enjoy it.

Just started scrounging from a recent road crew cut. About 2 cord and I've been given permission to get all of it. Mainly cherry, ash and oak. About half is already bucked, split, and stacked. This will be the very end of the wood needed for 2013/2014 and the start of 2014/2015. But, I'll likely stack stack the new cherry and ash now, and work into next years rotation. I'm looking at using mainly 2.5 year seasoned oak next winter, so, I'll use a cord or so less oak next year, let it season even longer, and burn the nicely seasoned new ash and cherry. Anywho, Jake is right, it is SO nice to be way ahead. I still take as much wood as I can scrounge, but I only work on the wood when I'm feeling like it - mainly when it is cool, bug free, etc. Which means that I normally work on wood around now! Cheers!

Well, today a neighbor who makes small wooden toy cars to be sent to kids in other countries who have no toys brought me a load of wood scraps that make excellent kindling......so as of today

I have enough KINDLING to last me well into the 2013 burning season.... :lol:

( I hate you people who have enough room for more that two years of wood on your property.....so I make it up in my kindling supply. Eat your hearts out. :p )

I have 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 split/stacked/dried. I received my last, of two, truck load of logs Tues. When cut/split/stacked that will take me through
2017/2018. One of those loads was 95% red oak, which will be used last, the other load was white oak, some red oak, and hickory.

Feels good to be that far ahead doesn't it? Due to some problems I didn't get a stick of wood cut this year. Fortunately Eric Johnson's advice a few years ago sunk in about never knowing when you might miss a year so going into last year I had three seasons split and stacked. Down to just two now.

Keep going.

BrotherBart said:
Feels good to be that far ahead doesn't it? Due to some problems I didn't get a stick of wood cut this year. Fortunately Eric Johnson's advice a few years ago sunk in about never knowing when you might miss a year so going into last year I had three seasons split and stacked. Down to just two now.

Keep going.

BB, I hear you on that... When we bought the place, 7 years ago, it had cut and split wood (mostly pine and cedar) heaped (uncovered on the ground) all over the back. We organized it and got it onto racks to prevent further deterioration. It seems like we had about 5 years worth of not so great wood, that was dirty, rotting, and and in various states of "dry." However, we had wood.

We burned through most of it, kind of glad for it to be gone, but got down to almost zero last winter, since we were here more than usual and it was a longer winter than usual. Major panic attack!

We are now back to being 3, maybe 4 years ahead after a fairly industrious spring. We had to work on quite a bit of standing dead oak to get this season under control and have every thing that was green waiting for 2011/12 and beyond. We seem to get about the fastest drying that I have heard about on the board. Summer humidity is usually in the 20% range, with a nice breeze. Even green oak that was stacked in the sun and wind appears to be somewhat dry already. Just got a moisture meter, so am looking forward to testing the inside of some of the splits. Maybe I'm dreaming.

Yeah, my motivation is my age and the aging process. I'm 63 and my joints, of one location or another, ache every day. So I'm thinking I better get ahead while I still can handle, to some extent, chainsaws, a log splitter, and moving the wood. I wasn't able to put any firewood up last fall/winter either, back then I had a four month bout with chemical induced bronchitis that prevented me from doing much of anything.

How bout some pictures pleeeeaaase!? So we can all get that good feeling!

Swamp Fox said:
Yeah, my motivation is my age and the aging process. I'm 63 and my joints, of one location or another, ache every day. So I'm thinking I better get ahead while I still can handle, to some extent, chainsaws, a log splitter, and moving the wood. I wasn't able to put any firewood up last fall/winter either, back then I had a four month bout with chemical induced bronchitis that prevented me from doing much of anything.

Yeah I am 63 and I live on five acres of trees but I told my wife that after thirty years of this stuff I probably only had two more years of this stuff left in me. Whacking the trees, loading the rounds that always seem to be down a hill and hauling it up here and processing it. I told her that in 2006. I went over a little. I think the wood dealer down the road may have a new customer in his future real soon.

Well, I'm a bit ahead of you yet but you are trying to catch up BB. Nontheless, keep on cutting and stacking. Jake is trying to catch me and he just might make it.

Happiness is....I found that I had mis-counted or is it misfigured? I do have enough to take me through 2015-2016. So when I finally get started cutting this fall it will be for 2017 and beyond. That is if someone doesn't come around and make some of those wood piles shrink. I did put 3 full cords in the new barn and there is already a cord on the porch. I think we'll do fine for a while yet.

BrotherBart said:
Swamp Fox said:

Yeah I am 63 and I live on five acres of trees but I told my wife that after thirty years of this stuff I probably only had two more years of this stuff left in me. Whacking the trees, loading the rounds that always seem to be down a hill and hauling it up here and processing it. I told her that in 2006. I went over a little. I think the wood dealer down the road may have a new customer in his future real soon.

Look for forest management... they do the work for you! Harvest your trees or get that wood guy to help you for a small price

iceman said:
Look for forest management... they do the work for you! Harvest your trees or get that wood guy to help you for a small price

That wood guy has a crew that processes several hundred cords a year down at that wood yard. I have been driving by it on the road for 25 years drooling every time. A pile over fifteen feet high and as long as a football field by June. And empty by March every year.

He ain't interested in stopping by here to cut a few trees. :lol:

But if I do buy from him it will be two years ahead of when I am gonna burn the stuff.

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:

That wood guy has a crew that processes several hundred cords a year down at that wood yard. I have been driving by it on the road for 25 years drooling every time. A pile over fifteen feet high and as long as a football field by June. And empty by March every year.

He ain't interested in stopping by here to cut a few trees. :lol:

But if I do buy from him it will be two years ahead of when I am gonna burn the stuff.

Lmao......I wouldn't bother with you either for that much wood!

iceman said:

HehHeh . . . I actually dug the camera out last night to take pics since I knew you guys would want pics . . . and of course there is the mantra -- "The proof is in the pictures."

Enjoy.

Pics shown:
Wood in the woodshed . . . for this winter and next winter.
The stacks outside is for the winter three years out . . . assuming we survive 2012.
The wood in the heap hausen (copyright Jags) is my punks, chunks and uglies that I'm burning this Fall.

Attachments

• wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 296
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 250
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 279
perplexed said:
Well, today a neighbor who makes small wooden toy cars to be sent to kids in other countries who have no toys brought me a load of wood scraps that make excellent kindling......so as of today

( I hate you people who have enough room for more that two years of wood on your property.....so I make it up in my kindling supply. Eat your hearts out. :p )

You may really hate me now then . . . here's a pic of my kindling supply which I keep in my "Summer Shed" (so named since I store the mower and pool supplies there.) There is also some kindling scattered in the piles in my woodshed . . . most often in the ends.

Incidentally, I have been using dead branches, wood scraps and some old, short boards for use as kindling so far . . . don't want to use up too much of my kindling you understand. ;)

Attachments

• kindling.jpg
    kindling.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 264
Impressive display FFJ, your shed looks even better full.

firefighterjake said:
iceman said:

HehHeh . . . I actually dug the camera out last night to take pics since I knew you guys would want pics . . . and of course there is the mantra -- "The proof is in the pictures."

Enjoy.

Pics shown:
The stacks outside is for the winter three years out . . . assuming we survive 2012.
The wood in the heap hausen (copyright Jags) is my punks, chunks and uglies that I'm burning this Fall.

Could you give me a front shot of that wood shed? That looks huge!

iceman said:
firefighterjake said:
iceman said:

Enjoy.

Pics shown:

Could you give me a front shot of that wood shed? That looks huge!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41416/

Pics from last Summer/Fall . . . personally I think it looks much better full . . . my brother-in-law and I added the sled shed to the back for this fleet of sleds . . . three and counting . . . which is funny since I live here and only have one sled.

Attachments

• frontwoodshed.jpg
    frontwoodshed.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 157
  • SideB.jpg
    SideB.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 152
Sweet, nice pictures, nice shed. Can't wait to get my pole barn built and a wood shed (next year). I think I am good through 2013-2014 season, I figure I have around 17 cords and burn 4 to 5 cords a year. I did it all in 1 year splitting by hand. Slowing down a little, but once the leaves are down I am planning on cutting a few near the house. Figure it is best to wait until the leaves are down. I need to make more room for the barn, the toys and the wood.

Looks good Jake. Nice work. It should be worth at least 4 attaboys.

Pics shown:
The wood in the heap hausen (copyright Jags) is my punks, chunks and uglies that I'm burning this Fall.[/quote]

I can see the quad rolling around the front of the shed with the trailer and the wood rolling to the house in the fall. Awesome shed Jake!

firefighterjake said:
perplexed said:

You may really hate me now then . . . here's a pic of my kindling supply which I keep in my "Summer Shed" (so named since I store the mower and pool supplies there.) There is also some kindling scattered in the piles in my woodshed . . . most often in the ends.

Incidentally, I have been using dead branches, wood scraps and some old, short boards for use as kindling so far . . . don't want to use up too much of my kindling you understand. ;)

Yep, now I do hate you even more than before.....my fate as an underachiever has been sealed. :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.