RE: Hydraulic floor jack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Anyone know anything about hydraulic floor jacks . . . granted I've had this one for a number of years and I think it was a $20 special or something like that, but I hate to just toss stuff when it doesn't work any longer.

I've added oil, but it still doesn't jack . . . the last time I used the jack, it worked, but pumped up pretty slowly.

Could be some dirt in the spring loaded check valve. Also could be a leaking seal.

Did the pump lose it's prime? Hold the jack so that the pump cylinder is lowest, and jack it up. There may also be an internal leak.

On the other hand, it could be a safety issue, so I say toss it.
Something similar happened to me, where it wouldn't hold, and getting worse, til it wouldn't pump.

velvetfoot said:
On the other hand, it could be a safety issue, so I say toss it.
Something similar happened to me, where it wouldn't hold, and getting worse, til it wouldn't pump.

I agree, it's not worth the risk unless you can say with 100% certainty that you have fixed the problem...

Jake, How much are your leg's/life worth? more than a new jack I would say.... I also recommend jack stands...

Scott

Jack and stands together are a must always, one without the other is not smart. A friend lost a leg working on a bob cat in a hurry, he says it was a very long day and night before he was found.

Sounds like the general consensus is to bring this jack to the metal salvage yard then . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.