RE: I love my dealer . . . well "like a lot" is more appropriate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Last Friday I was going to cut up some slabs and on the first pull of the 350 the pull cord snapped. In any case, I loaded up with full length slabs and headed home, but stopped first at a friend's house. I was talking with my friend when the Salesman of the local shop went by . . . so I flagged him down and handed him my saw to fix. Didn't even have to drive to the shop . . . he came to me . . . so to speak.

In any case, he said they could fix it and have it ready the next day . . . another point for local shops and service.

The next day I showed up to pick up the repaired saw and oogle the other saws on display . . . the repair guy told me to just give him $8 or so for the cord and for tightening up a few things . . . but when I said I only had $4 on me (well besides my debit card) he said it was close enough and that if I really wanted to I could just pay the rest at some point . . . or not.

Yesterday I showed up to pay the remaining $4 and I talked a bit with the salesman about what saw to go with as an upgrade from the 350. While I was looking hard at the 365 and 346 XP, he recommended the 555 . . . claimed the 346XP is a great saw, but better for softwood and that the 365 is a good saw, but a bit heavier than the 555.

In any case, here's the best part and why I really like my dealer . . . while he let me mull things over a bit longer (I take a long time to make a big purchase decision) he mentioned that Husquvarna had loaned him a 562XP to loan out to customers to demo . . . I didn't have much time last night, but tonight I'm planning on finding some trees to see what all the hullaballo is about. My only concern is I might fall in love with this saw and not want to just go up one step to the 555.

Look on the bright side.....the 562 will likely be the last saw you ever need to buy.

Reactions: smokinj
It is good to have a good dealer. Our present saw is maybe 10 years old, or somewhere around that. One day I just happened to be looking at the saws while waiting for something else. He asked if I was looking for a new saw and I said maybe. He took the saw in back and then brought it back out and said to take it home for a couple days and use it. I did, and ended up buying it. Been a good saw so far.

Reactions: davmor
My local Husqvarna dealer is hit or miss.

Both of my saws were down this morning. My Husky wouldn't start (spark issue) and my backup Poulan needed a carb adjustment. It has the screws in
it that need the special wrench to adjust it that I've never bothered to buy.

He went to grab a couple tags to write my name on them and told me it would be 10 days. I said that's fine on the Husky, but can't you do a quick adjustment on the Poulan so I can continue working? Nope. 10 days.

They don't seem to mind taking my money at $9 a pop to sharpen chains but couldn't take 1 minute to do a carb adjustment....

Well I got to play with the 562XP last night . . . all I can say is HOLY CRAPOLA . . . honestly, this saw is a little too much for me for my needs . . . I mean to say it's got gobs of power . . . I cut up a small cherry at my house and some slabs and it was like a Jedi light saber . . . no bogging down, no slow down . . . the only negative was it was a bit heftier than I am used to . . . I could see this getting a bit tiresome for limbing and working all day . . . well that and it really pulled through the wood (if a person was not experienced I could see them getting hurt with this saw.)

In any case, the saw went back this morning to get demoed by another person . . . I really do think I may have to take a look at the 562's younger step-brother, the 555, though . . . and see how the power compares to my old 350.

Reactions: Thistle
Jake - that 562 is in the same neighborhood as my MS361. You will get used to it and once you do, there is no turning back. Just do it.>>

Well I got to play with the 562XP last night . . . all I can say is HOLY CRAPOLA . . .

I fear you may be past the point of no return. I think you took the red pill and didn't even know you were doing it. That is the same reason I refuse to try out my BIL's 460.

Jake - that 562 is in the same neighborhood as my MS361. You will get used to it and once you do, there is no turning back. Just do it.>>

I'm splitting hairs here, but I'd say your MS361 is closer (although still in the same neighborhood as the 562 like you said) to the 555. I own a 555 with a MM and it is an awesome saw. Pulls a 24" B&C no sweat (it wears a 20" 90% of the time) and is the best all-around firewood saw I have ever used (not just owned). Obviously there are lighter saws, and more powerful saws. But the 555, 562xp, or an MS361/362 seem to be the sweet spot.

I guess you see why everybody loves the pro saws. If you cut a lot of bigger wood, with a lot of it running over 20" diameter, you'll love that bigger saw. If you don't, consider a smaller XP saw like the 346 over the homeowner saw, you won't regret it. I have a 50 special which I believe is pretty close to a 350. The 346 is a step up in speed, power, and durability.

I do disagree with your dealer about it only being good for cutting softwood.

555 - 4.3 hp
562 4.7 hp
ms361 4.6 hp

So technically it is closer to the 562

This is the data I went off:
MS361:
Displacement: 59 cc (3.6 cu in)

Since it's out of production I don't think Stihl publishes data on the 361 anymore. But if your numbers are correct then yeah, it'd be closer to the 562... Splitting hairs either way.

Sorry AC its always open for a run but not for sale. I can tell you more about the builder in a PM. He does very nice work and is a great person to deal with.

I agree with HittinSteel. He does awesome work and a very good person to deal with.

One pill makes you buy larger,
take the other, you'll buy small,
but the one you end up buying,
should do it all.

Apologies to JA.

Go ask Jake
When hes 10 feet tall

If you like the 50cc saw weight, then wait for the 550xp to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.