RE: Idiot's Guide to Woodburning Terminology?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Newbie here . . . I did a search, but couldn't find any terminology guides. Some stuff I've figured out as I've perused threads . . . some stuff I have an idea about and some stuff I have no clue.

Top Down Method: I'm guessing this is a method for lighting a fire?

Down Draft, Up Draft: I'm guessing this is the way the draft moves in the woodstove?

Signed Firefighter "Dazed and Confused with Bleary Eyes from Reading All These Threads" Jake

firefighterjake said:
Ooh, I know that, even though I'm a newbie :)

Yes, you put the big pieces on the bottom, and then kindling, and then tinder/firestarter on the top. Everything will magically light up without collapsing onto itself, as often happens if you put a big pile of kindling on top of your tinder, and then later try to put logs on it once it's going.

Not sure if you are into snowmobiling but the "Top down Method" is common in the snowmobile world. You chug a beer on the trail from the top down to the bottom. There is a snowmobile website that explains this in detail. sledmaine.com :lol:

I think this site could be refered to as the 'Idiots guide'.
dont be overwhelmed man.
take it a little at a time...... my head was swimming as i laid in bed at night rehashing all i read that day on here.
little at a time...lots of simple, common sense stuff that you just need to realize, and you will once you get going. liek the top down.. you had a basic idea already.

use the advanced search for specific questions.
otherwise just start reading through topics until you see something that you wanted to know.

when your stumped, ASK, the "pro's" on this site know more then any 10 sales people at any retail store.

FAQ's
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/QA_Templates/search//

Jake the smart thing to do is to find one of your comrades that burn wood and they'll give you the quick heads up on everything you want to know.

Jay777 said:
firefighterjake said:
Ooh, I know that, even though I'm a newbie :)

Yes, you put the big pieces on the bottom, and then kindling, and then tinder/firestarter on the top. Everything will magically light up without collapsing onto itself, as often happens if you put a big pile of kindling on top of your tinder, and then later try to put logs on it once it's going.

Thanks for the explanation.

Fire It Up said:
Not sure if you are into snowmobiling but the "Top down Method" is common in the snowmobile world. You chug a beer on the trail from the top down to the bottom. There is a snowmobile website that explains this in detail. sledmaine.com :lol:

Hmmm . . . guess I better talk to some folks there. I assume you're also at Sledmaine.com?

The top down fire starting method works well, but you don't need to worry about it too much. When you get a stove you'll find that you only have to light it a few times a year. I went two months on one fire last year and the only reason I let it burn out was because we had some unseasonably warm weather in January.

firefighterjake said:
Fire It Up said:

Hmmm . . . guess I better talk to some folks there. I assume you're also at Sledmaine.com?

Just playin with you bud. mxz600nut.

Fire It Up said:
firefighterjake said:
Fire It Up said:

Just playin with you bud. mxz600nut.

not on sledmaine but on hardcoresledder. same same there as well. riding a 700 mxz. cant wait for winter. sledding and buring wood woo hoo!

trailblaster said:
Maine- "the way life should be" -burning wood and sledding. what else do you need?

Swimming pool and bass fishing sounds better to me.

trailblaster said:
Maine- "the way life should be" -burning wood and sledding. what else do you need?

You forgot the most important! Hunting and women!

firefighterjake said:
Newbie here . . . I did a search, but couldn't find any terminology guides. Some stuff I've figured out as I've perused threads . . . some stuff I have an idea about and some stuff I have no clue.

Down Draft, Up Draft: I'm guessing this is the way the draft moves in the woodstove?

Signed Firefighter "Dazed and Confused with Bleary Eyes from Reading All These Threads" Jake

Welcome ffj,

I see you've found my new hideout. Great site and great info.

Tfin: SledMaine and HCS

Tfin said:
firefighterjake said:

Welcome ffj,

I see you've found my new hideout. Great site and great info.

Tfin: SledMaine and HCS

So is there anyone from Hardcore Sledder or SledMaine that isn't here as well . . . or do we all end up here eventually? Never figured on heating and sledding going hand in hand . . . but then again I suppose if you live where it gets cold enough to go sledding you'll eventually want to learn a thing or two about heating. :) ;)

I've watched that video just about everytime someone post's the link.

Sure she gets a quick good fire going with bone dry poplar and a 30 foot chimney.

Let's see her get that thing going with some so so wood that just got rained on, a few too many drinks in her, and a 16 foot chimney.

Oh and what about gloves. She's not wearing any. I guess you don't need them if you're sober huh?

karl said:
I've watched that video just about everytime someone post's the link.

Sure she gets a quick good fire going with bone dry poplar and a 30 foot chimney.

Let's see her get that thing going with some so so wood that just got rained on, a few too many drinks in her, and a 16 foot chimney.

Oh and what about gloves. She's not wearing any. I guess you don't need them if you're sober huh?
...in a miniskirt. With no shoes. On a fifty degree day. :lol:

Well fry my hide...over 30 years of wood burning experience and I learned a few things from that video. Does anyone know the name of that stove in the vid...it's not listed in the credits. My wife for years always wanted a stove that opened from left to right...also even though I'm not an E to W burner...I think I would like that option for reasons mentioned in the vid and having a stove with a perfectly sq firebox makes a lot of sense...

...so thanks from me if you can name this stove.

savageactor7 said:
Well fry my hide...over 30 years of wood burning experience and I learned a few things from that video. Does anyone know the name of that stove in the vid...it's not listed in the credits. My wife for years always wanted a stove that opened from left to right...also even though I'm not an E to W burner...I think I would like that option for reasons mentioned in the vid and having a stove with a perfectly sq firebox makes a lot of sense...

...so thanks from me if you can name this stove.

The stove featured in the video is the much acclaimed Pacific Energy Summit.

http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_summit.php

Status
Not open for further replies.