Re-install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
We need to replace our class A pipe from the ceiling box up. Security is going to replace the three sections of 48" Secure-temp pipe under warranty, but we're on our own for installation. I'm easily intimidated by this kind of thing and I'm not a handy guy - I was pretty excited to put in a dimmer switch not too far back. But shouldn't this be an easy job? I hate the idea of putting more money into this install of four years (we already replaced the stove and black pipe), but I'd hate more to have my house burn down because I wanted to save a few bucks.

Anyhoo, here are my questions. Besides pulling off some silicone, it looks like I can use the same flashing, collar, and cap, can I? Also, how is the class A connected to the ceiling box exactly? Does it just slip over a lip or screw onto it like the top section, or is there something more? I don't see any screws except the three in the topmost connection. Is there something else I need to be aware of?

Sorry if these are ridiculous questions, but they're the ones I have. Thanks in advance for your responses.

There is no reason that you can't use your same flashing, cap and collar, given they are in good condition.....just be careful when you are taking the collar off as it will be held by silicone.....this shouldn't be a hard job at all if your class A is all accessable....just take your time taking it apart, and put it back together the same way you take it apart.....it should be anchored to your ceiling box in the same fashion as it connects to the other pipe.....

Status
Not open for further replies.