Re-installing door pins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slm135

Nov 23, 2014
Maryland
I recently removed the door of my wood insert to clean the glass and install a new gasket. The upper pin was removed from the top. The lower pin had a screw retaining it; I removed the screw and knocked the pin downward. The pin stayed within the door until I removed the door sufficiently for it to come How do I reinstall the lower pin. I can get in place with the upper pin installed, but see no means of pushing the pin up into place. I've attached to images of the stove itself and the interior view of the lower pin. I find no manufacturer name on the insert and have not find any tips on reinstalling the lower pin. I would appreciate any suggestions others may have. Thanks!
Stove.jpg InteriorPin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try using a flat bar with something under it, like a block of wood & pry the pin upwards. Once the pin is flush with the bottom of the body, you will hafta add a drift to help drive it into the body, using the same pry bar...Another way would be to use a large bar clamp...

Bob,

Thank you for your reply! I was able to get a screwdriver beneath the pin, then tried pushing it up further with a small allen wrench with no success. There is only ~1/4" gap beneath the bottom of the door and the horizontal ledge of the stove. Not sure that I'm following your suggestion of using a large bar clamp...

Steve

Can you remove the door & drive the hinge pin all the way out?
If so, you should be able to re-install it from the top side...

Yes; I removed the door and can take the pin out. The angle the opening above the hinge is cut prevents the pin from fitting back in from above. I've considered removing the door and grinding a slot into the door above the hinge so that the pin does fit. However, I wanted to ask if there was a more obvious solution before resorting to that. Thanks again for your thoughts, Bob!

p.s. - If anyone can identify the manufacturer/model of the stove, I'd be interested in learning. Thanks!

If you remove the blower unit from under the ash lip, there may be a rating plate behind it, attached to the insert body...

The ash lip doesn't come off? You may need to build a tool that can lever off the ash lip and push up, say a small bolt through a piece of flat stock, and wiggle/swing the door while pushing.

I believe in modifying everything I own to ease maintenance. I'd take a grinder to that angled recess in about 5 seconds. If you do, smooth out your grinds and don't leave 'sharp' edges. It would be good to reduce possibilities for stress cracking.

Sportbikerider78,

Thanks for the suggestion! Unless I find an easier workaround, that's what I plan to do. Will make sure to smooth everything out...

Status
Not open for further replies.