RE: Interesting sales pitch . . . 5 cords = free stacking, 3 cords or more = 5 free lobsters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
http://www.villagesoup.com/classifieds/classAd.cfm?ClassifiedAdID=27828

Here's a classified ad I spotted in yesterday's local newspaper . . . and before you ask . . . I have no idea on how far away they'll deliver the firewood . . . and lobster. ;) :)

--

Seasoned and Green Firewood cut, split and Delivered. 5 Free lobsters with 3 cord purchase
The seasoned wood is 2 years old for $300/cord. The green wood is $210/cord. If you buy 5 cord or more we will stack it for you. Buy 3 cord or more and get 5 lobsters free. Cell phone number 691-0257. Lobster deal good until December 1, 2008

I had a wood dealer call me yesterday to see if i needed any wood havent bought wood off him for 3 years times getting tuff!

At $300 / cord buying bulk - I want the lobster cooked for me and a violin player to serenade me while I load the wood into my stove.

I was going to say the violin player should serenade my wife and I while we eat the lobster...but a violin accompanied stove loading sounds more entertaining to me. Besides, I don't need some guy with a fiddle bothering me while I try to enjoy my lobster.

meathead said:
At $300 / cord buying bulk - I want the lobster cooked for me and a violin player to serenade me while I load the wood into my stove.

I was going to say the violin player should serenade my wife and I while we eat the lobster...but a violin accompanied stove loading sounds more entertaining to me. Besides, I don't need some guy with a fiddle bothering me while I try to enjoy my lobster.

Amen brother!!
That is off the hook expensive. I buy some hardwood about 2 cords a year to supplement my enormous pile of pine. $140 a full cord all Oak delivered. Only down side is his splits are a little on the big side. I re-split some and leave some for overnight burns. It's also not seasoned enough but you gotta expect that! I just buy it a year or so in advance if needed.

Bubbavh said:
Amen brother!!
That is off the hook expensive. I buy some hardwood about 2 cords a year to supplement my enormous pile of pine. $140 a full cord all Oak delivered. Only down side is his splits are a little on the big side. I re-split some and leave some for overnight burns. It's also not seasoned enough but you gotta expect that!

Hey, we must use the same guy! First year burning and didn't know if I'd be able to round up enough dry wood so I called one of the few guys in town that sells wood and told him I wanted a couple cords of oak, he said $140/cord. Went to pick it up and he showed me a stack that was supposed to be 2 1/2 cords and very well seasoned (3 years), said he just measured it. Didn't look that big to me but what do I know, I've never looked at a cord before. Loaded it all up, stacked it when I got it home, and measured 1 1/2 cords.

Called the guy, who I think it honest, just not a good measurer, and told him my problem. He couldn't believe there could only be 1 1/2 cords and brought out a another pickup load. After stacking that had right at 2 cords. Didn't feel like arguing anymore and was OK that I ended up paying $175/cord.

Splits were big so I re-split most of them. Many were too long as well so I used the chop saw to bring them down to size. Then I got a moisture meter and found most of the pieces were over 30%.

Thankfully I got plenty of free dead and very dry oak and ash that should last the winter. If I run out I'll burn the bought wood last. Or maybe I'll just keep it around as a reminder.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.