1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

RE: Interesting sales pitch . . . 5 cords = free stacking, 3 cords or more = 5 free lobsters

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by firefighterjake, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    http://www.villagesoup.com/classifieds/classAd.cfm?ClassifiedAdID=27828

Here's a classified ad I spotted in yesterday's local newspaper . . . and before you ask . . . I have no idea on how far away they'll deliver the firewood . . . and lobster. ;) :)

--

Seasoned and Green Firewood cut, split and Delivered. 5 Free lobsters with 3 cord purchase
    The seasoned wood is 2 years old for $300/cord. The green wood is $210/cord. If you buy 5 cord or more we will stack it for you. Buy 3 cord or more and get 5 lobsters free. Cell phone number 691-0257. Lobster deal good until December 1, 2008

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I had a wood dealer call me yesterday to see if i needed any wood havent bought wood off him for 3 years times getting tuff!
  3. meathead

meathead Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    At $300 / cord buying bulk - I want the lobster cooked for me and a violin player to serenade me while I load the wood into my stove.

I was going to say the violin player should serenade my wife and I while we eat the lobster...but a violin accompanied stove loading sounds more entertaining to me. Besides, I don't need some guy with a fiddle bothering me while I try to enjoy my lobster.
  4. Bubbavh

Bubbavh Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NJ Piney
    Amen brother!!
    That is off the hook expensive. I buy some hardwood about 2 cords a year to supplement my enormous pile of pine. $140 a full cord all Oak delivered. Only down side is his splits are a little on the big side. I re-split some and leave some for overnight burns. It's also not seasoned enough but you gotta expect that! I just buy it a year or so in advance if needed.
  5. Alan Gage

Alan Gage Member

Loc:
    NW Iowa
    Hey, we must use the same guy! First year burning and didn't know if I'd be able to round up enough dry wood so I called one of the few guys in town that sells wood and told him I wanted a couple cords of oak, he said $140/cord. Went to pick it up and he showed me a stack that was supposed to be 2 1/2 cords and very well seasoned (3 years), said he just measured it. Didn't look that big to me but what do I know, I've never looked at a cord before. Loaded it all up, stacked it when I got it home, and measured 1 1/2 cords.

Called the guy, who I think it honest, just not a good measurer, and told him my problem. He couldn't believe there could only be 1 1/2 cords and brought out a another pickup load. After stacking that had right at 2 cords. Didn't feel like arguing anymore and was OK that I ended up paying $175/cord.

Splits were big so I re-split most of them. Many were too long as well so I used the chop saw to bring them down to size. Then I got a moisture meter and found most of the pieces were over 30%.

Thankfully I got plenty of free dead and very dry oak and ash that should last the winter. If I run out I'll burn the bought wood last. Or maybe I'll just keep it around as a reminder.

Alan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.