RE: Ipad, Kindle or other

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No crashing on an iPad air for me (of which you DON'T need, Jake - you are using wifi). But mostly I use it for a little surfing and moderating on a web forum I belong to. No hard core reading.

(sent from my iMicrowave using tapioca talk).

I'm not sure I follow the WiFi part, iPad comes in WiFi only, that's what my wife has. In her case its the browser that crashes every few days.

I'm not sure I follow the WiFi part, iPad comes in WiFi only, that's what my wife has. In her case its the browser that crashes every few days.

There is a wifi only version to take advantage of home wifi setups (no connection without wifi available), and there is the iPad Air version that has its own connection to the world (3G/4G) like a smart phone.

I have both.

There is a wifi only version to take advantage of home wifi setups (no connection without wifi available), and there is the iPad Air version that has its own connection to the world (3G/4G) like a smart phone.

I have both.

Jags, the iPad Air is simply the newest super thin iPad, available as both WiFi or WiFi+3G. I'm quite positive as we do own an Air WiFi :)

I am also quite positive that there is a version of iPad that is WiFi only. No unique connection to the outside world WITHOUT connecting to another peripheral. The iPad air that I own has its own unique connection (and cell number for that matter). The other iPad needs either a WiFi connection or tether to something like a smart phone for it to send/receive data. It has NO unique data connection of its own.

My explanation is probably not helping. Let me try a different way. With an iPad you can get WiFi only (needs wireless router or tether to smart phone) OR you can get one with its own data connection. Hopefully that is more clear to what I was trying to say to FFJ.
I have an iPad retna display - no data connection and I also own an iPad Air with its own data connection.

I am also quite positive that there is a version of iPad that is WiFi only. No unique connection to the outside world WITHOUT connecting to another peripheral. The iPad air that I own has its own unique connection (and cell number for that matter). The other iPad needs either a WiFi connection or tether to something like a smart phone for it to send/receive data. It has NO unique data connection of its own.

Jags I think we are just saying the same thing differently. I'm just pointing out that the WiFi only iPad is also called "Air". Go to apple.com if you don't believe me :)

read my post right above your last. I agree, we are saying the same thing.

(Re-reading my own posts...I can see where I probably caused confusion. In trying to differentiate MY two units it appears that I suggest the iPad Air is the "connected" version. That was not my intent. Hopefully I have cleared that up).

Last edited:
Reactions: jharkin
Retina display is just Apples trade name for their LCD with a pixel density higher than the human eye can see. iPad3, iPad4 and iPad Air all have retina.

And heck I'm not even an apple fan, I just get this off apple.com and Wikipedia ;)

Yeah - my confusing statements were in the name of trying to explain my two units and not distinguishing the services available to all units.

Its all cool jags... I don't know what got into me hehehehehe

Reactions: Jags
Its all cool jags... I don't know what got into me hehehehehe

Probably trying to correct some confusing statements by me.;)
Well, hopefully FFJ is completely confused and he will stop asking questions like this.;lol
(Ya know I'm kidding, buddy)

Last edited:
<--- must get iMicrowave! My ipads dont seem to crash either. Wife complains about pinterest crashing occasionally....I say thats what happens when you looking at "lol kitties" all the time. they aint THAT funny....cept the ones making the cute faces....and the ones wearing costumes....

Great . . . that would be my wife . . . always looking at cute cats and dogs on line. I think she routinely looks at all of the animal shelters in a 60 mile radius. :)

Reactions: Delta-T
Probably trying to correct some confusing statements by me.;)
Well, hopefully FFJ is completely confused and he will stop asking questions like this.;lol
(Ya know I'm kidding, buddy)

Believe it or not . . . I think I figured out what you guys were saying in the first post . . . that is . . . some versions of the Ipad are wi-fi only and use a wireless router to send/receive signals and some use a cellular phone connection so that you can use it anywhere there is a cell signal.

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner.
I am glad you sludged through my diatribe and came out with what I was trying to say. :)
(You can thank Jeremy for that;))

A few weeks ago we bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - it's our first tablet and I like it a lot. The larger (10") screen makes it easier to read the daily newspapers and magazines - and I like the stylus that comes with it. I'm only beginning to learn all the uses for it - but my wife has a hard time getting it out of my hands.

The kindle is wonky. I use it for research while I type on the laptop. I hate it. My work iPad is pretty great.

I rarely use anything but my ipad to be on internet. After a while all screens make my eyes tired and I have trouble focusing at a distance for about 15 minutes or so.

My wife has a Kindle Fire collecting dust. And an iPad that she never sets down.

To me it comes down to what else you have in the house. If you have iphones and a Mac computer, it would make most sense to get an apple tablet.

If you have android phones and a regular PC, it makes most sense to get an android platform tablet.

This way, all of your apps and bookmarks can sync to each of the devices and it helps that you are already familiar with each operating system.

I was looking for my first tablet around Christmas time and was gravitated towards the Kindle Fire HDX. Realized that I didn't have anything invested in the Amazon App store (what is available for Kindles) and decided to just stick with an android platform (as we have two android phones in the house already, with apps and such from the Google Play Store). Ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition, and its been great.

To me it comes down to what else you have in the house. If you have iphones and a Mac computer, it would make most sense to get an apple tablet.

If you have android phones and a regular PC, it makes most sense to get an android platform tablet.

This way, all of your apps and bookmarks can sync to each of the devices and it helps that you are already familiar with each operating system.

I was looking for my first tablet around Christmas time and was gravitated towards the Kindle Fire HDX. Realized that I didn't have anything invested in the Amazon App store (what is available for Kindles) and decided to just stick with an android platform (as we have two android phones in the house already, with apps and such from the Google Play Store). Ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition, and its been great.

So what if you have no Apple products, one Windows-based desktop PC and a dumb phone (vs. a smart phone?)

I think we may take a look at what is available at Best Buy later today when my wife comes up to the big city for a doctor's appointment, grocery shopping, etc.

Honestly, I'm gravitating more towards the Kindle HDX for what I think she would do with it . . . surfing the internet, Facebook updates, reading newspaper, books, Netflix, You Tube, etc. However, I am still not locked into deciding anything . . . the Ipad and Galaxy are also possible considerations.

I have a Kindle e-reader that I love! I subscribe to Amazon Prime and read many reduced price Kindle books. We watch free Amazon Prime movies on my Roku. I would like to get a Kindle fire HDX but it really suite me as well as a Android tablet would for anything other than reading.

Jake buddy..check out the Asus MeMo HD7. $175. Quad core processor, 1 gig of ram, MicroSD slot, etc etc etc. I don't think it can be beat for the price....

Andrew

Jake buddy..check out the Asus MeMo HD7. $175. Quad core processor, 1 gig of ram, MicroSD slot, etc etc etc. I don't think it can be beat for the price....

Andrew

I'll give this a closer look . . . I have an Asus desktop that has been fantastic . . . and the price and specs look good for this tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.