RE: Looks like the oil dealers in Maine don't like the fact that pellet stoves are pretty popular

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it is time for the pellet dealers to commission a study of the difference in sulphur emissions between pellets and heating oil.

I hate to say it, but there will come a time in the near future when wood burning of all kinds will be illegal. Our government will claim it is because of pollution, and "global warming"......... but it will actually be about the huge reduction in tax dollars our government will be getting by us NOT burning oil.

Simple solution here. All the oil dealers have to do is price their product so that "BTU to BTU", oil is equivalent in price to pellets, and people would surely continue to heat with oil. Oh, wait, that's not going to happen now. ROTFLMAO

Ductape said:
I hate to say it, but there will come a time in the near future when wood burning of all kinds will be illegal. Our government will claim it is because of pollution, and "global warming"......... but it will actually be about the huge reduction in tax dollars our government will be getting by us NOT burning oil.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

Can you say pellet tax????? It's coming....

It shocks me that the oil guys say how great oil is and how bad wood pellets are. Give me a break.............

Reminds me of a Leno joke the other night. He said an article in the Wall Street Journal recommended saving money by drinking regular brewed coffee instead of going to Starbucks. To which he said Starbucks replied that to save money you should cancel your subscription to the Wall Street Journal.

Dont worry our arrogant legislature in Augusta will now use this to ask for a study and then recommend all new installations have some type of emissions non-sense attached to clean it up. you watch, the enviro nut jobs in this state will take this running and do whatever they can to kill off pellet stoves.

I read just recently that wood will release the same amount of carbon regardless of whether it is burned or decomposes. Oil won't release anything if you don't take it out of the ground.

Portland Press Herald had the same article, Gf and I were in South Portland today when I read this. On the Bangor Daily web sight comments made to the article did not go over well with the general public. I would love to read the editorials tomorrow calling the oil dealers cards on this one. Lets face it a pellet stove could burn just as clean adding some kind of catalytic converter if need be. Oil has lost out to economics and now they crying fowal!! I have said people really don't care much about any thing unless it's wallets, this is a free market capitalism at it's best.

I thought it hilarious that there was an advertisement for pellet stoves on the page the article was on for Bangor's website!!!

AND if the oil dealers association really believed this, then why are some of the biggest dealers in Maine looking for ways to sell pellet boilers (my dealer has a standing order with some oil dealers to provide them with X pellet boilers each month) and bulk pellets?

Hoverfly said:
Portland Press Herald had the same article, Gf and I were in South Portland today when I read this. On the Bangor Daily web sight comments made to the article did not go over well with the general public. I would love to read the editorials tomorrow calling the oil dealers cards on this one. Lets face it a pellet stove could burn just as clean adding some kind of catalytic converter if need be. Oil has lost out to economics and now they crying fowal!! I have said people really don't care much about any thing unless it's wallets, this is a free market capitalism at it's best.

Dont give them donkeys in Augusta any ideas, we dont need more stupid emissions crap on a stove. It is bad enough dealing with it on your car.

TurboZ said:
Hoverfly said:

Dont give them donkeys in Augusta any ideas, we dont need more stupid emissions crap on a stove. It is bad enough dealing with it on your car.

Maybe, maybe not, but in some cases it's a must. Just hang behind a car with out emissions controls.........stinky! However I believe the next generation of pellet stoves can be much more efficient with out adding to much more to the cost. Less fuel is consumed.

Hoverfly said:
TurboZ said:
Hoverfly said:

Maybe, maybe not, but in some cases it's a must. Just hang behind a car with out emissions controls.........stinky! However I believe the next generation of pellet stoves can be much more efficient with out adding to much more to the cost. Less fuel is consumed.

Depends on state of tune. You would be hard pressed to know providing the O2 feedback works properly. I run +20% injectors, modified calibration on my computer, 3" exhaust and 20 PSI of boost and you wouldnt know the difference even I ditched the cat.
Stinky cars are probably running too rich.

Placing emmissions crap on a pellet stove to placate some idiot politician just adds unneeded complexity and cost to the customer. One more thing to fail and breakdown.

Hello!!!! You have emission controls in your car!! You have a CO2 sensor, thats one of them, th e computer is another..... I am talking about cars before all that stuff, like a 69 Mustang with a 442. Nothing replaces displacement like a V8, Oh buy the way I own an 02 Celica.

Oxygen sensor yes, no CO2 sensor but give Al gore some time :)

Oh I have dynoed our Road Runner 440 six pack, no O2, no cat etc

Once warmed up, not much more polluting than a newer car, Nox may be tad bit higher but not much. HC andCo would meet newer limits in steady state. Of course at WOT that is another story, their is nothing better sounding than a 440 when all three carbs are kicked in:)

TurboZ said:
Oxygen sensor yes, no CO2 sensor but give Al gore some time :)

Actualy we are going at it the wrong way any way, it's the population that is the problem.

Ductape said:

if woodburning becomes illegal then come put the cuffs on me, and put me in the big house LOL. But i won't go without a fight!!!!!!

I was looking at the possibility for more feedback loops with our pellet fire. Wideband 02 sort of setup to completely control the burn rate.
The cost of this kind of setup would be the biggest factor.

Sounds like pellet fires might be getting a hard time over there? You would hope they don't bring out too much red tape etc just so the other big companies can get their share of the heating market..

TurboZ, 300ZX I guess? Must be fun in the snow in Maine in winter? haha
I'm a Nissan fan myself. ;)

Ecoflame said:
I was looking at the possibility for more feedback loops with our pellet fire. Wideband 02 sort of setup to completely control the burn rate.
The cost of this kind of setup would be the biggest factor.

Sounds like pellet fires might be getting a hard time over there? You would hope they don't bring out too much red tape etc just so the other big companies can get their share of the heating market..

TurboZ, 300ZX I guess? Must be fun in the snow in Maine in winter? haha
I'm a Nissan fan myself. ;)

No I have two Shelby Daytonas, a 90VNT and 86 Turbo Z with the CS package. Plus a couple of other Turbo cars, 89 Shadow ES, 90 Daytona ES and a 03 PT GT Cruiser. For winter have a 00 durango and 02 Grand Cherokee.
Boost is fun, HP is addictive but at least with these cars, parts are cheap and they get great gas mileage. Of course when you start popping big turbos, intercoolers, and Koni suspensions in them it does cost some money but I cant complain.

Got ya. Thats a few cars.

Gas down here in NZ is very expensive now. I have a very modded turbo car and it costs me a fortune every time I even start it. Need to get it back on the dyno for some fine tuning..

Over $2NZ per Litre

I think it works out to over double what you pay.. or more :(

hi guys this is from the epa website on pellet emissions
Pellet Stoves

Instead of logs, pellet stoves burn a renewable fuel made of ground, dried wood and other biomass wastes compressed into pellets. They are some of the cleanest-burning heating appliances available today and deliver high overall efficiency. Because they pollute so little, pellet stoves do not require EPA certification; some manufacturers, however, voluntarily seek this certification. Unlike wood stoves and fireplaces, most pellet stoves need electricity to operate, and can be easily vented through a wall, unlike log-burning stoves.

Notice the wording!

A study conducted for Maine’s oil dealers(Paid by Maine oil dealers???) says air quality could worsen if thousands of
homeowners switch from oil heat to wood pellet stoves.

If all of the pellet stove owners decided to burn furniture instead of pellets, then I would agree that the
air quality might get worse. The burning efficiency of a chair with cushions cannot be over 50% can it??

Every time we find an alternative to oil, it gets blasted......Wind, Hydro,Wood, Pellets etc

The dealers are seeing a drop in sales and do not like it.
Oh well, I guess they are learning about Supply and Demand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Pellets are CO2-Neutral---Read this Mr oil dealer
http://www.bosch-thermotechnology.com/sixcms/detail.php/2230324

I think that article is going to get blasted in the editorial section of every paper it was published.

Status
Not open for further replies.