Q&A Re: Masonry Fireplace Insert with "fireplace appeal"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I've been surfing the net and need some help. I want to install a heating type of unit into my masonry fireplace without it losing its "fireplace" appeal.

I have found the Heat-N-Glo Grate Heater. This sounds good but what exactly do I need to go with that? Do I need glass doors? Do they offer some kind of package for everything I need? How does it operate?

Answer:

The Grate Heater works best with glass doors. You can purchase the glass door from any manufacturer, but it would be a good idea to purchase the grate heater and doors from the same shop so the fit is assured. This unit will heat a room nicely, but is not as efficient as a stove or full-blown fireplace insert. It features a hollow grate and a blower which circulates air through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.