RE: Maybe I'm missing something . . . Jotul F 602 CB hearth requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I went out to a resident's home yesterday as she wanted a pre-consult as to what would be needed to meet code requirements for a proposed F 602 CB install. It looked relatively simple . . . I gave her advice on wall clearances, what she would need for the chimney, pass-through, etc. and floor protection.

At the time I thought it was pretty clear -- the manual I downloaded at the Jotul website seems to indicate that a hearth with a R value of .47 is required . . . however today she called me back to say that she was a bit confused as she was looking at a manual (where she got it . . . I don't know) that said the R value is 1.1. She went on to say she was hoping she could get away with not using two sheets of the 1/2 Durock as I suggested to meet the .47+ requirements and was hoping the 1.1 figure was right . . . and then she really baffled me when she said the local dealer was claiming that all she needed was ember protection due to the bottom heat shield.

First off, here in Bangor we require some type of listed floor protection regardless of what the manufacturer requires . . . even if they say only ember protection is needed.

Second, who is off here . . . me, she or the dealer? I went with my standard answer of "we tend to default to whatever manual that comes with the stove and their specs" statement . . . but I really am baffled as to where she got the 1.1 figure . . . and yes . . . I explained to her that a R value requirement of 1.1 was actually more than twice that of the R value I found in the manual on-line of .47 . . . and my mind is still blown with a dealer telling her that only ember protection is needed since it really does seem as though the manual says the hearth has to have a specific R value.

Anyone have any answers? Daksy. . . .

Well, dayum...
I checked a manual in the floor model here & it says a minimum
R value of .45 for the floor protector.
I also have a document (dtd 12 Sep 07) from Mark Lewis @ Jotul tech
that indicates a .45 R value & a minimum 3/8" thickness for the
floor protection under this guy.
I don't see a 1.1 listed anywhere, altho an older manual
I found had an alcove install requiring an R = 1.1...

Why does this stuff always come up on a Friday afternoon?

Thanks for looking Daksy.

Status
Not open for further replies.