Re-model :: Seeking more heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossco

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2014
BC
Doing some alterations to my home (My beautiful home)

So this is the basement stairwell. If the basement light was on you could see the BK pedestal. You can see some splits.

The bulge is a storage cuboard on the hallway aside. The access between the living area and the 3 bedrooms / bathroom.

This is the other side of that.

So, we decided to remove that and allow all the warm air up into the living area VS working its way through the kitchen.

This is how it stands right now.

Basically my home is old school browned and plastered walls. No drywall. So I had to shim the drywall out 1/4 with hardboard. I had to shim the drywall to curve it, Follow the original wall. The piece directly to the right is the old chimney Breast.

Luckily I have found a guy who can plaster vs Mudding & taping.

Had the BK running the other night and observed 26C on the Furnace thermos that's in the hall.

Watch this space.

Last edited:
so you now have an open shot from the basement, to the upstairs, that cannot be closed?

I think I woulda left it a closet and placed some vents in the door. Just my .02

Yeah when you look over the edge you see the basement stairs. I have some lovely Hemlock railing to go in there. 42" is code.

Tried vents etc. they work ok but not like the wave of heat that piles up through the opening now.

I'd say that's definitely going to make a difference.

so you now have an open shot from the basement, to the upstairs, that cannot be closed?

It's just a miniature version of this:

That is exactly what I'm about to do this weekend. Last year I cut a large return hole just above my stairs, it helped a little, you could def feel the cold air coming through the hole when standing on the steps, so I figured since this is none load bearing I can take the top parts of the wall down and have more hot air enter the kitchen living room area. We'll see how it works out, thankfully everything is sheet rock and not plastered so it will be a little more forgiving.

Yeah it's making a difference so far. Coldest here has been 25F and we have seen 78F in the hall way with one load, set on low.

We think it's a good idea and have been planning it for a while. Lots of work & mess.

Go for it Kenny, you can always drywall over the opening if its not successful.

Last edited:
Starting to take shape now folks.

Still undecided, small ceiling fan or pot lights.

Last coat of mud today.

Gonna start sanding tomorrow.

Shame I cannot fire the stove up tonight.

Reactions: Seanm
Looks good. Looking forward to seeing your hemlock railing finished out.

Looks good. Looking forward to seeing your hemlock railing finished out.

Thanks buddy.

I need to buy a high quality finishing blade now. Don't think the framing blade is gonna make the grade. More $$$.

Anyways, BK is going on tonight. Not into this forced air deal.

Finished the sanding. Now just primer & paint.

The reason why we cut the holes.

Nice to see the stove going! Let us know how much difference it makes for you.

Nice to see the stove going! Let us know how much difference it makes for you.

Oh it's making a difference.

Ran a load last night (Fir & Larch) set the thermo to 1.5, woke to 22C this morning, stove still going. Not bad for one load. Once the stove gets going full time the heat should be dramatic. It take's a few good load to heat my old Fir house up.

Oh it's making a difference.

Ran a load last night (Fir & Larch) set the thermo to 1.5, woke to 22C this morning, stove still going. Not bad for one load. Once the stove gets going full time the heat should be dramatic. It take's a few good load to heat my old Fir house up.
Thats good. You can probably feel the warm air coming up! I loaded the 27 up last night with larch and the house was 23c this morning. Lots of coals left but I will let it go out for the day. I'm sure yours is still putting out usable heat though.

Thats good. You can probably feel the warm air coming up! I loaded the 27 up last night with larch and the house was 23c this morning. Lots of coals left but I will let it go out for the day. I'm sure yours is still putting out usable heat though.

Right on. Not bad for fire pit wood eh.

The stove is still on. Loaded and lit around 20:00 last night although it's in its death throes. Once I get a string of good loads going it should be even better, the heat comes up the stairwell good.

Painting at the moment. Dam I hate painting. (Well the wife's paining ha ha)

As you may know the issue is getting cooler air down, to replace the warm air to rising. With a cold house on the second level, you should be able to feel the cool air running down the stairs at floor level. So if your not getting enough heat up you will need to create more vents to sent the cold air down.

Omg 78f id be dying, i am canadian however we keep our house at 62-70 max past 72 ill be sweating lol!!!

As you may know the issue is getting cooler air down, to replace the warm air to rising. With a cold house on the second level, you should be able to feel the cool air running down the stairs at floor level. So if your not getting enough heat up you will need to create more vents to sent the cold air down.

We kinda figured out last year how to help the heat up, I use positive pressure in the basment, It just takes time and wood to do so. Shooting for Longer burns for the same amount of comfort. (less wood)

I have a return in the hallway that returns to the back of the stove. I may throw a fan & timer on it if we are not satisfied.

Thanks for the input thou. Appreciate it.

JD6 :: Ha Ha Ha we like it @ 24C. It's funny you mention ideal heat. Next door sets his CH @ 17C. Br Br Br

Status
Not open for further replies.