RE: My "weekly" woodstack on the porch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I think I have mentioned the fact that I tend to stack my week's worth of wood (actually it is more like 1 3/4 week's worth of wood, but I would rather have a little more than less) on my porch. I move the wood from my shed to the porch . . . and did so last year when I moved it from my woodpile to the shed. I like having it on the porch since a) last year it meant I could brush the majority of the snow off it before bringing it inside, b) it's more convenient when reloading the woodbox every day since I have lights out there and c) if my wife needs to grab some wood she can easily do so without having to worry about slipping in the snow and ice on the trek to the woodshed.

I put this together in less than hour using some old 2 x 4s and screws. As you can see I also made a section for my kindling which I fill up every month to month a half . . . depending on how much kindling I have used. It may not be as pretty as some similar set ups, but it works for me.

Attachments

• porchwood1.jpg
    porchwood1.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 711
  • porchwood2.jpg
    porchwood2.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 691
I am not sure if you like to sit and admire your wood piles or if that is where you hide from wifey chores or have an abundance of chairs around your place , because the pictures of your wood shed also shows a white plastic chair.LOL. Have fun with your wood and keep on keeping it warm.

looks good, I keep about 2 days worth in the garage and also keep about a face cord near the house under the eve of the roof, it is pretty well protected from the elements.

I did this for the same reason as you..... to get more for the woodbox, I dont have to put on boots and trudge through mud or snow to get dry wood, + my wife can also easily access it while i am at work.

bambam said:
I am not sure if you like to sit and admire your wood piles or if that is where you hide from wifey chores or have an abundance of chairs around your place , because the pictures of your wood shed also shows a white plastic chair.LOL. Have fun with your wood and keep on keeping it warm.

I knew someone would notice the omni-present white plastic chairs . . . it makes me look like I'm always just sitting around, admiring my wood doesn't it? ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
bambam said:

I knew someone would notice the omni-present white plastic chairs . . . it makes me look like I'm always just sitting around, admiring my wood doesn't it? ;) :)

I bet yours is the chair with the bottle holder right?

firefighterjake said:
bambam said:

Jake, it looks like you just carry it with you wherever you've done something with the wood.
Re: moving the wood to the porch, I did the same this afternoon. I used to fit almost a full cord, but I keep about a 1/3 or less out there now. The 2/3 cord right next to the porch is easy enough to get to until I bring more up to refill.

Attachments

• IMG_3612resize.jpg
    IMG_3612resize.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 557
firefighterjake said:

Yes, it does.

;-)

Looks good! I have a 3x8 rack that I fill on the weekends in the garage. I have to carry through the laundry room, kitchen and into the hearth room. I have a door wall in the hearth room which leads to my deck, I'd like to build something similar to that on my deck instead of dragging the debris through the house.

JoeyD said:
firefighterjake said:
bambam said:

I bet yours is the chair with the bottle holder right?

Actually that chair is my cat's chair . . . Theodore Roosevelt. It was one of those cheap ones and when it ripped rather than throw it away I took a Sharpie and marked "Teddy" on the front and back. In the Summer, Spring and Fall when we're out on the porch he often climbs up in "his" chair (despite the rip) and just hangs out with us.

Good work Jake. Here is how we do it. Notice it is all under the roof (carport).

Porchwood-a.gif

Backwoods Savage said:
Good work Jake. Here is how we do it. Notice it is all under the roof (carport).

Porchwood-a.gif

Looks good . . . but something appears to be missing . . . what is it . . . can't quite figure out what's missing . . . aha . . . I have it . . . looks good, but you really should get yourself a white plastic chair! ;) :)

That's funny Jake because indeed there were some plastic chairs there when I started. I quickly put them into the barn for the winter.

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Porchwood-a.gif

Looks good . . . but something appears to be missing . . . what is it . . . can't quite figure out what's missing . . . aha . . . I have it . . . looks good, but you really should get yourself a white plastic chair! ;) :)

+1 my thoughts exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.