RE: New Englander Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobiewhite

Dec 19, 2007
upstate N.Y.
I have been using one of the 1500 sq. ft New Englander pellet stove the last three years to heat my small cape, approx. 1600 sq. ft. first and second floor. It is set up in the first floor at the end of the house. This is a somewhat open floor plan on the first floor. I have been more than happy with the stove being able to get away with 1/1 heat settings most of the time. One the coldest of days I might go to 3 or 4. I was wondering if anyone has tried to put one of these in the basement [finished] which would bring me to about 2400 sq. ft.. I use about 1/2 of a pallet monthly, however trying to heat my cellar with a small 220 ceiling mount heater is killing my electric bill. It cost me about 300.00 a month more to run that alone. Any ideas. I can leave the cellar hallway door open to let the heat up. Any Ideas would be great Thanks

kobiewhite said:
I have been using one of the 1500 sq. ft New Englander pellet stove the last three years to heat my small cape, approx. 1600 sq. ft. first and second floor. It is set up in the first floor at the end of the house. This is a somewhat open floor plan on the first floor. I have been more than happy with the stove being able to get away with 1/1 heat settings most of the time. One the coldest of days I might go to 3 or 4. I was wondering if anyone has tried to put one of these in the basement [finished] which would bring me to about 2400 sq. ft.. I use about 1/2 of a pallet monthly, however trying to heat my cellar with a small 220 ceiling mount heater is killing my electric bill. It cost me about 300.00 a month more to run that alone. Any ideas. I can leave the cellar hallway door open to let the heat up. Any Ideas would be great Thanks

Lets just say it`s comparable to my little Harman P-38 which I have in my finished basement. I keep the 800 sq ft basement at around 73 with maybe some heat going up the stairs. (can`t be much.) However I rarely turn it higher than #1 and sometimes on #2 (when it`s real cold) or the heat would drive me out of the finished basement rooms where I spend most of my time. I burn a bag every 24-36 hrs .
I`m happy with it but it`s no secret that a pellet stove is better utilized when placed on the upper floors that are used more frequently by most faily members.
With the pellets here at $315 per ton I`d definitely save money by just using the baseboard hot water (oil) heat already in place but I do enjoy the stove more.
Electric would absolutely be out of the question! It`s $.18 per kwhr here.

kobiewhite said:

Since you already have one of these stoves, getting a second one of the same model would seem to make sense to me....you already know how it runs, and how to operate it.

Since you are trying to keep your costs low, consider buying a used one of the same brand/model. I don't where in "Upstate NY" you are, but I just looked at Craig's List for my area and there are 3 people selling Englander stoves like yours that are 2-3 years old, for $700-900. Since you already own one, you should know what to look for in a good/bad stove.

Putting it in the basement to eliminate the use of the electric is a good idea, but as mentioned by Gio, don't expect much of that heat to go upstairs...just be happy it will keep your basement nice and cozy.

I just picked up a used version of that model, and plan to install in my basement. The install instructions are pretty specific about basement install options. Basement installs are usually a little hairier than ground level, and a little more expensive due to more pipe. My install will be a little more complicated due to a deck and my finished basement. This is my second install now that my Jamestown is fully installed in my sunroom.

I too am in your neck of the woods (however you are counting Upstate), so send me a PM and we can exchange experiences with this stove, perhaps some install tips, and maybe help each other out with the installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.