Q&A Re: New Purchase - Regency vs VC Winterwarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We're looking into purchasing an insert, and at present have a choice between a Regency Medium and the Large Vermont Castings Winterwarm.

I'd like some input on the two stoves if anyone has experience with the two. Also, it looks like it would cost us $1000 more to do a full re-line of our chimney vs. a partial on the Vermont Castings. Do we really need to do the full? Our chimney is on an outside wall - but 1/2 is in the garage, and only about 12 feet is exposed - and then only about 4 feet of that on all 4 sides.

What issues should we consider here? We like the looks of the Winterwarm, but are concerned about it being a cat stove vs the non-cat Regency.

Answer:

These are two vastly different stoves...let me compare them to a Minivan and a Mercedes.

The Regency will server you well in everyday use (like a minivan) and probably costs less. Since it costs less and is non-cat (less parts), it will require less service. Being a non-cat also means it will heat up quicker from a cold start.

The WinterWarm is the Mercedes....nice looking, unique, more costly, require premium gas and more time in the shop....but people turn their heads to see it!

The WinterWarm will take a lot longer to produce heat from a cold start...but will probably burn longer because of the catalytic converter.

The lining question? Hard to tell. There are a lot of factors that affect draft. Is your existing draft excellent? The WinterWarm may need more draft than the Regency since it has the cat and a more convoluted way of bring the air into the fire.

Lastly, let me put in a plug for a company whose stoves I sold for years, and now they are a prime sponsor of this site - Lopi and Avalon Stoves by Travis. You'll find these similar to, if not superior in some respects, to Regency. Check https://www.hearth.com/prod.html

Status
Not open for further replies.