RE: Newbie . . . at least to the "new" woodstoves . . . I have questions . . . hopefully you have an

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
About the only history I have with heating with wood is 18 plus years with my parents running a wood furnace. Burned 10-12 cords a year and was a lot of work . . . but the heat was steady. After college I lived in a camp across from my parents and heated the place with a woodstove that was given to me but was way too big for the small camp (I boiled my goldfish alive and still have memories of sitting around in my underwear with every window and door open in middle of a January snowstorm . . . or maybe it was a February snowstorm . . . the details don't matter that much.)

In any case like most folks I began researching pellet stoves, woodstoves, wood boilers, coal boilers . . . heck I even did a bit of research into solar heat, geothermal and the reverse air conditioners before narrowing down the choice to a woodstove, gassification wood boiler or pellet stove.

I'll spare you the details, but as everyone here I am sure knows pellet stoves in this area of the country are getting hard to find . . . at least if you want a well-known, name brand before Spring of 2009. There are still a few around and I haven't completely ruled them out . . . namely because I like the idea of buying the pellets, pouring the pellets in and then letting the stove run without a lot of fuss.

I also like wood boilers, but due to the fact that space issues would require an outside shed and the expense I'm thinking about putting this idea on the back boiler so to speak and explore this option after a year or so of heating with pellets or wood.

At this point honestly I am leaning more towards a conventional woodstove since I have access to a woodlot, have some cut up wood and know I can get and have a woodstove installed before Fall.

But . . . I do have some questions and hopefully you well-educated and experienced folks can help a newbie out. I've done some searching and read a lot of threads, but I still don't have a handle on a few things.

1) Catalytic converters vs. stoves without them: It sounds as though there are newer stoves that still burn clean without using cats . . . is there any reason to go with a stove that uses cat converters . . . I mean it seems like a no-brainer if you need to replace a $100+ part every 3-4 years.

2) I still have memories of being super-heated in the old camp. Now granted it was small and the stove was large . . . however do the new woodstoves regulate temps better? I realize that these are not pellet stoves and there will be some variation in temps, but are there stoves that utilize thermostats or similar devices to automatically deliver a degree of steady heat vs. too hot, too cold, too hot, too cold/fiddle with the damper the entire time?

3) I've read up some on the different brands . . . both here and at the websites (which of course make their brand seem to be the end-all, be-all). Are there any particular features or key components that I should be looking for or putting on my wish list for a stove?

Thanks to any and all who are willing to help this "born again woodie" see the light . . . or at least feel the flames. :) ;)

Welcome back,
Personally I like the cat stoves for the longer more even burns and they seem to have a little more control. Do a search here for cat vs non cat and you will find all kinds of info and figure which one suits you best. The key to burning the newer EPA stoves is dry wood, so if your getting a stove don't wait til fall to start cutting. It can also be hard to find real seasoned firewood through dealers. You can figure going through about 1/3 less wood burning a new EPA stove than the older pre EPA stoves. I go through 3 cords of hardwood per season burning 24/7 from Mid Oct to Apr.

I don't know of any wood stoves that are thermostatic controlled like a pellet or wood furnace, but most wood stoves heat output are easily controlled by a single air control. The Pacific Energy Summit has EBT (extended burn technology) that is a devise that regulates the air supply automatically, and there are a few other manufacturers that have similar thingys like Blaze King and Vermont Castings. Personally I like to have total control of the air myself.

There are so many stoves out there, find one you like the looks of best and size it a tad bigger than they advertise. Do more research here, look around at the local dealers and ask lots of questions.

General concensus seems to be that with a smaller place to heat, you're using a smaller stove. A smaller stove has a smaller firebox, and therefore doesn't burn as long on a charge. Catalytic stoves can burn clean slower- that seems to be their strong suit. Otherwise folks normally go non-catalytic for simplicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.