Re-Painted the stove last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
Even though its only been a year ..... the Jotul was starting to look greyish ...... sprayed the entire stove last night and looks brand spanking new ;o)

A common problem with the matte black Jotuls . . . I thought about painting or polishing my stove this past Fall, but then figured I could live with the "new" look . . . OK, Shari . . . isn't it about time for you to chime in here about how nice your blue black finish still looks? :) ;)

Is it fairly easy to repaint a stove a different color with a good result, or will it flake and otherwise look jacked up?

I was thinking of changing a black Blaze King King to some sort of silver/gray/pewter. Maybe put some lipstick on it.

Instead of painting the top of my summit as it was starting to look bad from where everything has been sitting on it, the local stove guy talked me into buying some rutland polishing paste. Smeared that stuff all over the top then buffed her out and it looks better than new and it was a heck of a lot easier than paint...

firefighterjake said:
OK, Shari . . . isn't it about time for you to chime in here about how nice your blue black finish still looks? :) ;)

(stretch, yawn, exhale, puts the bon bons back in the candy dish and sidles up to the computer......) Jake, Are you speaking to me? I didn't say anything, wasn't planning on saying anything (yeah, right!). I was busy this morning dusting off my BB Oslo which still looks showroom new and didn't see this post. :) (she sighs with satisfaction, leaves the computer keyboard and goes back to eating bon bons...)

Shari

do u just rub on the stove polish? its a wax right? ive seen the williams one always wondered how u apply it.

argus66 said:
do u just rub on the stove polish? its a wax right? ive seen the williams one always wondered how u apply it.

My stuff calls it a "polish paste."
I wrap part of an old t-shirt around my pointer finger, hook some out and rub it on.
Kinda like putting polish on shoes in the old days.

sweet and when it dries it looks like new again? and i assume it is some kind of protection?

kenny,

How does this stuff look right after you put it on (before you heat up the stove)? Reason I ask, we have a 'decorative' pot belly stove in the kitchen that, years & years ago, had stove polish on it but it needs 'something' done to it. We never burn in this stove so I'm wondering how this polish would look.

Shari

What are you guys using for paint? The BBQ paint you can find at the hardware store? My add-on is down in the basement but last summer the humidity got to it and it has a few rust spots on the top of the door so I'm planning on painting the whole thing.

Shari said:
kenny,

How does this stuff look right after you put it on (before you heat up the stove)? Reason I ask, we have a 'decorative' pot belly stove in the kitchen that, years & years ago, had stove polish on it but it needs 'something' done to it. We never burn in this stove so I'm wondering how this polish would look.

Shari

I like it just the way it goes on. Buffing gives it some shine which I'm not partial to. Heating does not change the look.
My little 6oz. jug cost $6.00 and will do my big stove at least three years. It is black and needs to go on a black stove.
It 'd be a cheap and easy upgrade for an old pot belly.
Try a little hidden spot first if you're concerned.
Put some on that new stove to get rid of the new look. :lol:

i to have a spot on the top of my blaze king when i first got the stove the paint faded in one spot i think it was when it was brand new i spilt some water on it when it was heating up and it made a mark. i dont want to paint the whole stove, but could i use the high paint to just hit the top of the stove? the rustoleum spray paint what you guys using?

ecocavalier02 said:
, but could i use the high paint to just hit the top of the stove? the rustoleum spray paint what you guys using?

You can use stove spray paint from a stove store. Do it on a nice day 'cause you'll need plenty of ventilation and you'll want to protect from it's "more than usual" drift.

kenny chaos said:
Stove polish every fall before the first fire.
Works good on the stove pipe too.

Tried it for the first time this fall. Worked wonders on the Vigilant.

you sand the where your going to paint at all or just clean and do spray it?

Shari said:
(stretch, yawn, exhale, puts the bon bons back in the candy dish and sidles up to the computer......) Jake, Are you speaking to me? I didn't say anything, wasn't planning on saying anything (yeah, right!). I was busy this morning dusting off my BB Oslo which still looks showroom new and didn't see this post. :) (she sighs with satisfaction, leaves the computer keyboard and goes back to eating bon bons...)

Shari

Excellent post! "Beaula, peel me a grape!" :)

kenny chaos said:
ecocavalier02 said:
, but could i use the high paint to just hit the top of the stove? the rustoleum spray paint what you guys using?

You can use stove spray paint from a stove store. Do it on a nice day 'cause you'll need plenty of ventilation and you'll want to protect from it's "more than usual" drift.

KC, can you add your stove to your sig?

Shari said:
firefighterjake said:
OK, Shari . . . isn't it about time for you to chime in here about how nice your blue black finish still looks? :) ;)

Shari

:) :) :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.