RE: Pallets, slab wood, standing dead wood . . . and teachers? Anyone know where I can find some sea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
http://bangornews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=168394&zoneid=500

Best quote from a person representing a school district that is considering a wood boiler instead of their present oil boiler.

"We're litterally tossing our teachers into the boilers" . . . Hmmm, so far as a born again wood burner I've cut up slabs, pallets and standing dead wood . . . never realized I could burn teachers in my woodstove. How hot do they burn and how long do you have to season teachers to get them to burn?

Another good quote from a Waterville resident who is concerned about possible air pollution . . . a guy who is advocating the spread of natural gas. While he does make a good point about older woodstoves and of course old-style OWBs, I wonder if he doesn't realize that the newer tech is a pretty good thing . . . and of course realize that folks that live in the country like me are not likely to ever see natural gas become a reality.

"If we go back to wood as an energy source it's like going back to the 1800s" . . . of course this discounts the fact that even the worse home built today is better insulated than those homes.

Fastest way to season a teacher to burning hot temps is to continually reduce pay while increasing their class size. I've also read that forcing science teachers to teach intelligent design will work.

I believe any teacher just about to reach tenure would be considered just right for burning by the administration.

Best comment to the article:

"We are literally tossing our teachers into the boilers, Parsons said."

"I trust not, although the teacher who failed to teach Mr. Parsons the difference between literally and figuratively might benefit from a light toasting."

So, am I the only teacher(retired) to reply so far? I was seasoned for 20 years but still felt a little green at times - usually at the beginning of every burning season. Maybe "trial by fire" means putting a really green teacher in front of 30+ elementary age kids. They either cure quickly or become administrators (I was one of those too - see, I do know which form to use - there I did it again.) :coolsmirk: Side note - I was always a teacher/administrator - a small school will do that to you, and I never really wanted to leave the classroom. Ok, what were we talking about? Can't give a definitive answer on how long to season a teacher. I got burned a couple of times over the years; smoldered a few times over the way some parents treated their kids, and after 20 years I was roasted at my retirement party.

Status
Not open for further replies.