RE: Plugging Hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
The other day the Fire Inspector and myself were interviewed by a fella who works for Northeast Contact -- an organization that helps folks with issues involving businesses (i.e. folks who do not receive the product they ordered on line for example). Lately, they've also been focusing on consumer products and safety issues so they wanted to do a story on maintaining pelletstoves.

Overall the story came out OK . . . a few mistakes here and there . . . perhaps we did not explain ourselves well enough (i.e. the reason we require listed floor protection is not due to fly ash, but rather hot ashes/embers/coals)

In any case, here's what the guy wrote in the third paragraph before the ending . . . "Johnson recommends the Web site hearth.com for information about all facets of solid fuel heating" . . . although truth be told I actually said hearth.com was a fantastic site for anyone who has questions about heating with wood, pellets, gas or what have you.

The scanned version didn't come out all that OK, but if you click on the pic and blow it up I think it's legible enough to read.

A few points:

-- Our inspector said he didn't do three times as many woodstoves as pelletstoves

-- I didn't say the straight venting pelletstoves had led to cleaning problems . . . but I did say losing power with these often meant there was no natural draft and this could cause some CO to come into the home

-- The Inspector's issue with a faulty stove was actually a woodstove and not a pelletstove . . . a Vogelzang actually . . . that's not to say there haven't been issues. One of our guys had an issue with a NewEnglander pelletstove defect . . . a problem I am happy to report was quickly resolved.

-- Finally, I question our Inspector when he said some older people would not be able to clean their pelletstove adequately . . . seems a bit agist . . . you could turn that around and say some younger people might not clean their pelletstoves adequately because they might not have the time or knowledge to do a thorough job.

Attachments

• articlefull.jpg
    articlefull.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 210
Status
Not open for further replies.