RE: Pulled the trigger . . . my splitter should be in today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
After waffling back and forth on what splitter to get and checking out splitters as far away as 40 miles I ended up buying a 27-ton MTD Gold splitter from my local True Value . . . figured it pretty much had everything I wanted other than the Honda engine and it seems as though the BS engines are a bit better than they used to be when I was a kid (i.e. unreliable). Of course I also waffled on the 22 ton vs. 27 ton but in the end figured I would go a touch bigger (since bigger is always better in most guy's minds) since it was just a touch more on price. The splitter shoud be in on today's shipment.

congrats! makes things go alot faster

Congratulations,
I have been looking for a good used one for a long time. They are always sold when I get to them from CL. I may be doing the same thing as you, going to the local and getting a new one.

Pissa. It's a different world when you have one. I need like 16 - 20 cord a year (including the kiln), so it's a must. I'll b honest- when it's fresh cut oak and the weight of the sharp maul just about splits rounds anyway- it's faster and more satisfying to walk around the pile and pop the ones on top.

Just out of curiosity, can I ask how much you paid? I know people don't always like to answer that question, and if you choose not to do so, I will understand.

Meauran said:
Just out of curiosity, can I ask how much you paid? I know people don't always like to answer that question, and if you choose not to do so, I will understand.

$1,399 . . . not counting tax which we have to pay here in Maineachusetts. This was the same price I would have paid for virtually the same model sold in the big box stores so I opted to keep the money local.

FFJ - good on ya. In a few years, your body will thank you.

Edit: it took me a while to figure it out, but now I choose to let a machine take the beating, not the body.

Never mind, I had one of those senior moments. I re-read your post and you said the splitter had everything you wanted "other than the Honda engine" Meaning it would be nice if you had the Honda engine. Sorry.

Anywho, enjoy the new toy!

My 27-ton MTD has the Briggs. No complaints whatever. In fact, I've owned a number of Briggs-powered pieces of equipment (lawn tractor, chipper, splitter, pressure washer), and never a Honda (except one motorcycle). I'm not a nut about brand loyalty, but the Briggs engines have always served me quite well. Enjoy the splitter...I sure do enjoy mine! Rick

Jags said:
FFJ - good on ya. In a few years, your body will thank you.

Edit: it took me a while to figure it out, but now I choose to let a machine take the beating, not the body.

Nah, I'm just plain too lazy to swing an ax or maul all day long . . . no patience . . . plus I pretty much grew up using wood splitters so swinging an ax is a bit of an unnatural act for me. Dad actually built one of the first woodsplitters in town . . . and it still is plugging away even though it has been modified more times than Cher has had plastic surgery . . . in its "latest" incarnation it's mounted sideways to the front of an old horse-drawn manure spreader -- Dad splits the wood and then throws the splits in the trailer . . . when he gets to the shed he can ratchet the wood off the trailer's back.

trafick said:
Never mind, I had one of those senior moments. I re-read your post and you said the splitter had everything you wanted "other than the Honda engine" Meaning it would be nice if you had the Honda engine. Sorry.

Anywho, enjoy the new toy!

Yeah, I'm a big Honda fan. I've always had good luck with Honda ATVs and I certainly can't complain about my Honda car . . . and the push mower is wicked reliable as well.

That said, it seems that Briggs engines are decent enough these days . . . and relatively easy to rebuild or replace when needed.

firefighterjake said:
. . . in its "latest" incarnation it's mounted sideways to the front of an old horse-drawn manure spreader -- Dad splits the wood and then throws the splits in the trailer . . .

Sounds sweet...any pics?

firefighterjake said:
in its "latest" incarnation it's mounted sideways to the front of an old horse-drawn manure spreader -- Dad splits the wood and then throws the splits in the trailer . . . when he gets to the shed he can ratchet the wood off the trailer's back.

Now what you really need to do is paint it up in nice "patriotic" colors - and offer it up as a free mobile speechifying platform for all the local politicians - I.E. return the unit to it's original function... :lol:

Gooserider

ffj, congrats. on your new splitter. i own a 21 ton mtd, had it 3 yrs. splits everything i've thrown at it. only thing i dont like is how ya change oil on it. i've put a piece of hydraulic hose with 3/8" pipethread on one end and 1/4" pipethread w/cap on the other end under the engine where the drain plug is to make it easier and less messier to change oil. good luck with your new toy, dont have to much fun!

Gooserider said:
firefighterjake said:
in its "latest" incarnation it's mounted sideways to the front of an old horse-drawn manure spreader -- Dad splits the wood and then throws the splits in the trailer . . . when he gets to the shed he can ratchet the wood off the trailer's back.

Now what you really need to do is paint it up in nice "patriotic" colors - and offer it up as a free mobile speechifying platform for all the local politicians - I.E. return the unit to it's original function... :lol:

Gooserider

Hmmm . . . I'll run that by Dad . . . around here they're always looking for wagons and such for parades to counter-balance the three million fire trucks and old cars in the parades. :) ;)

SolarAndWood said:
firefighterjake said:
. . . in its "latest" incarnation it's mounted sideways to the front of an old horse-drawn manure spreader -- Dad splits the wood and then throws the splits in the trailer . . .

Sounds sweet...any pics?

Will do . . . I'll see if I can't take some pics this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.