Re: Regency...Can other dealers service one? Central NJ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnxfan

Nov 26, 2007
NJ USA
Without naming names, yet, the Regency 'dealer' in our area of Central New Jersey is pretty bad. Getting a return call is difficult.

Can other dealers service the unit? It is not a big service that is needed. As an aside - anyone have any companies that they would recommend in the Plainsboro - Princeton area?

Thank you.

What unit do you have, and whats wrong with it?

We have the L1200s. The rope gasket that surrounds the glass needs replacing. Also, eventually, the bricks that line the unit will need replacing - so I guess a 2nd question is - can you order Regency parts directly from Regency?

Thanks!

The gasket is generic & can be replaced by YOU!
Take the gasket to a hearth shop - doesn't hafta be a Regency dealer...have them match it &
get a tube of gasket cement - UNLESS you have the Gold-Plated door...
RTV Silicone works best on the gold, because RTV is tackier & will stick to the smooth plate.
The bricks are the same - MOST of them - GENERIC & can be replaced by YOU!
You may need a couple cut, but your local Masonry Supply store will have em...4.5 x 9 x 1.25 split firebrick...
HTH

Daksy - thank you very much for the reply. OK - I'm pretty sure I can get gasket fireproof cement at Home Depot. I didn't like the instructions that recommended taking the entire door off to do the job. Awesome - thank you.

Just for Hearth's info - I have an email in to Regency = will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to email me back - if they do at all. The 'Regency Dealer' in central NJ? Now 6 days, 5 calls, 2 emails and no reply from the stove guy. Possibly why they have a BBB rating of F?

You would think that the regency company would not continue to sell there products to piss poor dealers that will not stand behind what they sell. with all the many different brands of stove companies out there. that kind of service gives them a bad name and cost them thousands of dollars in sales because some sorry dealer will not get off his fart box and do his job and stand behind what he sells.

gnxfan said:
Just for Hearth's info - I have an email in to Regency = will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to email me back - if they do at all. The 'Regency Dealer' in central NJ? Now 6 days, 5 calls, 2 emails and no reply from the stove guy. Possibly why they have a BBB rating of F?

It might be the time of year too. I'm in need of unrelated repairs and have not been able to reach multiple service companies.

DeePee said:
gnxfan said:

It might be the time of year too. I'm in need of unrelated repairs and have not been able to reach multiple service companies.

I've actually reached people who take messages and promise return calls. Just...no return calls. Which, 7 days in, is unacceptable. Especially when Regency lists all of 2 dealers within the 08540 zip code (and this one is a full service HVAC + Fire company with that stellar F BBB rating and the other one has an A).

FYI, Regency emailed me after I emailed them again today that they couldn't find yesterday's email. So, at least we have progress. And, FYI, 21st Century Stove in Bridgewater, NJ is the only Regency Dealer in the area that a) Their Email works, b) they emailed me back today with prices, etc. Unfortunately they are a bit out of my service area.

But for any of you in Central Jersey within 20 miles of Bridgewater - good initial contact and a BBB 'A' rating...

[quote author="gnxfan" date="1249015817"] I didn't like the instructions that recommended taking the entire door off to do the job. Awesome - thank you.

i usually (but not always) do door gaskets with the door mounted. that said, some door channels which accept smaller diameter gaskets (especially some of the stiffer ropes) its easier to do with the door laying flat as the gasket will try to "fall out" as you apply it. unfamiliar with your brand but most doors remove very easily. if glass is present usually unless recently replaced its not a bad idea to do it as well while you are already doing the door, and getting the glass out of the way while handling the door apart from the stove can prevent a big "oops" of a broken glass. as daksy stated generic gaskets are just fine and most can be matched by any hearth dealer.

Thanks Mike - I haven't looked closely but I think the door might just come off by hitting up two hinges.

Regency emailed me yesterday. Said that they didn't get my first email. So I now have a direct email into someone over at Regency. 8 Days counting for a return call from Alpine Energy in South River. What if the next repair is a Regency specific part or a bigger job - that is my concern now...

21st Century Stoves in Bridgewater, NJ was fast to get back to me. I'm going to get the items directly through them. Great CS so far. What stinks is they are much further from us in case of emergency service needs.

Regency has not responded with their suggestions yet as to the initial issues. Regency really needs to seek out more dealers and their current 'certified' dealers need more checking up on...

gnxfan said:
21st Century Stoves in Bridgewater, NJ was fast to get back to me. I'm going to get the items directly through them. Great CS so far. What stinks is they are much further from us in case of emergency service needs.

Regency has not responded with their suggestions yet as to the initial issues. Regency really needs to seek out more dealers and their current 'certified' dealers need more checking up on...

in the world of manufacturing its hard to keep up with individual distributers, trust me i know i deal with mass merchants. its worthwhile to mention to the manufacturer , but dont beat on them they usually have limited resources in keeping up with every dealer, some dealers are better than others which is why i recommend looking into the dealer as much as the product as you are buying a service contract from the dealer not the manufacturer. not harping BTW if you end up doing the gasket yourself and run into anything , gimme a shout or post in here , you will get help

Mike - ironic thing is - part of my world is recruiting Quality managers for manufacturers as a headhunter...I agree with you 100%. The really bad thing is that the installer was awesome. It's like night and day now though...

The bricks can be cracked and still work just fine. But if you want to replace them:

Last time I did brick work I think I picked them up for about $2.50 each at the local cement yard. I got extras because, well, you know, when you decide to build a forge they'll come in handy. Cutting them is easy used an angle grinder but I bet a tile saw or sawzall would leave a person just as content.

With the door gasket, just do it. You could be done by now. Just pop the pin in the hinges and remove the door. Rip the old gasket out, scrape any large globs of glue out and glue and insert the new gasket. Just like the bricks, gasket is fairly inexpensive. Pick up enough for 2 jobs. In case you make a mistake and it doesn't seal well or it wears out in a few years and needs replacement again. It will not go bad and it will save time so you can do it some night when you can't sleep at 2am.

Matt

Matt - great idea on the ordering of 2. It's actually the window seal - not the big rope seal for the door but it appears it should be easy to do.

Great Jack Handy quote too...

Everyone - thank you very much. Matt - I ordered 2 sets. http://www.21stcenturystove.com/ was in touch with me immediately. Tom from 21st Century even gave me some tips on installing the seal. So the whole annoyance of 11 days with no call back from the other company will probably save me a $200 service call.

21st has a, not suprisingly, A+ BBB rating. http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/busin...entury-stoves-in-north-plainfield-nj-16002859

Regency got back to me quickly as well. The short version: "I have forwarded your response to our representative in your area to deal with the situation. As for dealer review, we at Regency choose are dealers carefully, based on their knowledge and dedication to customer service. It is unfortunate that you have had an unpleasant experience. As soon as our representative has more details, we will contact you. Thank you for your email." So they were professional too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will be back with more 'burning' questions as the season progresses!

gnxfan said:
Anyone have experiences to share about Energy Resources
4222 Route 130, Willingboro, NJ, 08046?

i spoke with them on the phone last fall. very knowledgeable and were happy to answer my questions. i ended up buying used from a private party to save $$ but if i were to buy from a dealer I definitely would of considered Energy Resources.

BucksCoBernie said:
gnxfan said:
Anyone have experiences to share about Energy Resources
4222 Route 130, Willingboro, NJ, 08046?

i spoke with them on the phone last fall. very knowledgeable and were happy to answer my questions. i ended up buying used from a private party to save $$ but if i were to buy from a dealer I definitely would of considered Energy Resources.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Bob

21st Century got the seals here today. Quick.

Then Regency emailed me again. FYI:

Thank you for contacting Regency Fireplace Products!

Unfortunately, we do not sell parts direct to the public. I contacted the sales reps that handles the New Jersey area. He recommended a new dealer in Burlington, NJ named Rattan, Patio & Fireplace Shoppe. They should be able to assist you with parts for your I1200. I have listed their address and contact information below. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Rattan, Patio & Fireplace Shoppe
2502 Route 541
Burlington, NJ 08016
(609)386-7717
[email protected]
www.rattanpatioandfireplaceshoppe.com

Thanks,
Amy Staab

Nice to be able to end this thread.

A) After contacting Regency I finaly received the worlds worst aplogy from Alpine Air in South River and will not have to deal with them again.

B) I received the gasket from 21st Century Stoves in Bridgewater, NJ. Did it myself as suggested above and...it was cake. Easy. Better gasket than the stock one fit wise. So, not getting a return call wound up saving me some $160 bucks or so on what would have been a needless service call anyway. Anyone looking to do the gasket - door slides right off and self stick gasket cuts easily. Brilliant!

Firebricks are on the way and the chimney sweep is coming Monday.

Thanks, again, everone. Awesome forums.

Bob Mantz

gnxfan said:
Nice to be able to end this thread.

A) After contacting Regency I finaly received the worlds worst aplogy from Alpine Air in South River and will not have to deal with them again.

B) I received the gasket from 21st Century Stoves in Bridgewater, NJ. Did it myself as suggested above and...it was cake. Easy. Better gasket than the stock one fit wise. So, not getting a return call wound up saving me some $160 bucks or so on what would have been a needless service call anyway. Anyone looking to do the gasket - door slides right off and self stick gasket cuts easily. Brilliant!

Firebricks are on the way and the chimney sweep is coming Monday.

Thanks, again, everone. Awesome forums.

Bob Mantz

Bob,
How much did the gasket cost you? I'm going to need a new one on my 3100 insert.

Bernie - some 20 bucks for 2 of them. I put the 2nd in a plastic bag and put it away in case I need one in a year or so (as recommended above)...or if I screwed up the 1st one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.