RE: SAD Lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Anyone know a) if SAD lightbulbs (Seasonal Affective Disorder) really work (the ones where you screw them into a regular light socket)? and b) where can you purchase these lights?

I did some reading about sunrise or dawn simulation therapy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_simulation

I almost bought one of these because it made some sense to me and it seemed the most economical way to give it a try

http://sunraintime.com/

In the end I found that maintaining a constant hangover all winter effectively masks the symtoms of SAD.

szmaine said:
In the end I found that maintaining a constant hangover all winter effectively masks the symtoms of SAD.

Mint! I rediscovered wild turkey's American Honey last night for the same reason. Winter's a drag here in the northwet.

Generally, you need a far more intense amount of light for it to have an effect. I have one over my desk with three very bright CFL lamps in it. When its on "high" it takes a couple of minutes to get used to it. It still doesnt beat going snowshoeing on a sunny day with snow on the ground.

My wife (a PhD Clinical Psychologist) has a light that she uses to good effect for her. I'm sure there are lots of folks who would pooh-pooh the whole idea. At one time I was probably one of them. Not anymore. I showed her this thread, and she looked up the link to where she got the light she uses, and sent me this e-mail from her computer upstairs:

The therapy light I use is made by Northern Light Technologies (link below). When I first feel the depression/sadness begin (usually in Sep. here), I start sitting with the light on (desk lamp) for 15-20 min. in the AM. The light has worked very well for me. There are many sites on-line that discuss the use of light therapy for SAD, as well as the difference between light from an ordinary light bulb v. therapy light.

www.northernlight-tech.com/

fossil said:
My wife (a PhD Clinical Psychologist) has a light that she uses to good effect for her. I'm sure there are lots of folks who would pooh-pooh the whole idea. At one time I was probably one of them. Not anymore. I showed her this thread, and she looked up the link to where she got the light she uses, and sent me this e-mail from her computer upstairs:

The therapy light I use is made by Northern Light Technologies (link below). When I first feel the depression/sadness begin (usually in Sep. here), I start sitting with the light on (desk lamp) for 15-20 min. in the AM. The light has worked very well for me. There are many sites on-line that discuss the use of light therapy for SAD, as well as the difference between light from an ordinary light bulb v. therapy light.

www.northernlight-tech.com/

My wife tried just buying a bulb and putting it in the light she reads with, by the bed. Didn't seem to help( FFJ), but that link is a much better looking product. I like the clip on the hat idea. Might try the higher end type products. I should know better than try a cheap way out. Get what you pay for. Might actually be a good Christmas gift. Thanks Rick!

I am no expert but I did sell in a past life, neonatal lights that were used to help premature babies with light problems. I am sure it needs to be a specific wavelength for it to be effective.

I should mention that I am thinking of getting a light for my wife . . . I mean I love winter . . . it's one of my favorite seasons since it's when I get to go outside and play with the snowmobile. However, my non-sledding wife hates winter and I was thinking that this might not be a bad thing . . . she doesn't get depressed or anything (and in the past few years taking a trip to the sunny Carribean in middle of winter has helped things) . . . just thought I might see if it might help . . . my sister said her husband (the ones in Portage, Alaska) has changed quite a bit when she added some SAD lights in the house.

Well these lights weren't quite what I was looking for . . . my sister was talking about some "regular" lightbulbs that screwed into the incandescent light sockets . . . she said they were SAD lights and produced a "different" type of light. It sounded as though she had bought them through a Home Depot or Lowes or some place like that . . . wasn't sure if anyone had seen them in those stores or a similar store.

I can't speak for the SAD lights, though I find when everything is gray/white and cold outside, I particularly enjoy the warm orange glow and radiant heat coming from the stove. If that feeling can come from a lightbulb as well, she should be cured!

There have been several studies and to date, there hasnt been any correlation on wavelength. So its all intensity. There are fluorescent bulbs sold that have a high color temperature that have been claimed to help SAD, but this is an unregulated field and everything I have read is that people respond differently to treatment. The biggest concern is that some of the high output bulbs put out large amounts of unhealthy wavelengths that can cause long term eye damage. The therapy lights have a plastic cover that is rated to block off these wavelengths.

There is a doctor in Maine that sells a baseball cap with a couple of led bulbs that point at the wearers eyes and claims it works. I dont know if it works but you end up with a real expensive baseball cap.!

do they work... or do you experience relief because you expect them to work ?
after the fancy light bulbs buy yourself a Qray magnetic bracelet
its psychosomatic.see it all the time and my wife is in the doctorate program for psychology/counseling

Status
Not open for further replies.