RE: Soapstone top for Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Well after much talking and consideration (and one burned cat) I did it . . . I found a stone place which agreed to make me a soapstone topper for my Oslo. Thought you guys might enjoy the pics.

The soapstone is cut to the shape of the top, but I also had 1/2 inch round spacers built to elevate it a bit -- a) because the center oval plate rides a little higher and would not allow the stone to sit perfectly flush and b) I was unsure if placing the stone right on the cast iron would somehow interfere with the design specifications (i.e. less cooling, more cooling, etc.)

The good: I realize soapstone isn't loved by everyone . . . and others might say I'm just having soapstone stove envy, but to be honest I kind of like the look of the soapstone top. It kind of dresses up the Oslo . . . and looks much better than the time I was playing dress up with the Oslo and attempted to put the wool sweater on the stove. ;) :)

The bad: As many soapstone folks may have surmised, the relatively small amount of soapstone and the air space has shown me that while the soapstone does not of course perform the same as a soapstone stove . . . something I didn't expect . . . I mean, it would be kind of unrealistic to think that adding a single piece of stone would magically transform a cast iron stove into a stove with soapstone-like qualities.

I have noted that the cast iron continues to get as hot as normal and the soapstone is about 100 degrees cooler . . . again, not quite what my wife thought would happen since she thought it would just be warm as she originally thought this would prevent any cats-a-leaping (that would be on the 13th day of Christmas) from getting burned. I went into this fully expecting that the stone would get hot. The good news by the way, is that the cat who made his infamous cat on the hot stove leap to fame has since steered clear of the stove.

When the fire has died out from an overnight burn I have noted that both the cast iron stove top and the stone are around the same temp. I have not let the stove totally cool down so I can only make an educated guess at this time, but I believe what would happen is that as the fire dies and the cast iron cools the metal and stone would soon reach the same temp with the metal cooling more quickly . . . over time I believe the stone would continue to stay warmer longer than the metal, but I also believe the temps being radiated from the stone at that point would be neglible in terms of heating value.

So, that said . . . here's some pics . . . pay no attention to the unframed and foamed window . . . trim will hopefully be going up soon . . . ditto for the rust spots on the steamer pot.

Attachments

• soap1.jpg
    soap1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,519
  • soap2.jpg
    soap2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,618
  • soap3.jpg
    soap3.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,533
  • soap4.jpg
    soap4.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,509
  • soap5.jpg
    soap5.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,554
Reactions: Billybonfire
I forgot to mention . . . I have since pulled the stone forward just a dite so I can use the IR temp gun to measure the stove top temp . . . it pretty much looks the same as now, but the stone is just a 1/4 inch or so pulled to the front vs. being perfectly flush.

Also, I apologize for the camera quality . . . I took these pics right after bringing the cold camera inside the warm house so the pics may not be as crystal clear as they should be.

Nice, Jake - and you never know until you try, right?

Does your steamer still steam being thus removed from the heat?
Anyway, if it end up not being very satisfying I suppose you could always use it as a bed warmer -saw those on the internet.

Two tid bits-

You've had your stove for a year right? Is that surface rust I see? If no, never mind, but I was wondering if thats what I have to look forward to in a year...

Saw you on the news this morning giving a little girl a ride to school in a firetruck. Very cool.

szmaine said:
Nice, Jake - and you never know until you try, right?

Very true . . . this was an idea I was batting around all last winter and I finally decided to take the plunge and at least try it. If nothing else, I like the look.

Does your steamer still steam being thus removed from the heat?

The only time it has really truly steamed is when I've set the steamer directly on to the cast iron. With the trivet (both on the cast iron and on the soapstone) the water and potpourri cooks off, but I never see any steam . . . I just can smell the potpourri in the air and every other day or so I need to add more water to the pot.

Anyway, if it end up not being very satisfying I suppose you could always use it as a bed warmer -saw those on the internet.

Yeah, nothing more comfortable than slipping into bed with a huge stone slab between you and your spouse. ;) Actually, many years ago there was a guy in Burnham (the town next to Unity where I live) who was making soapstone bed warmers . . . I often wonder whatever became of that business.

Two tid bits-

You've had your stove for a year right? Is that surface rust I see? If no, never mind, but I was wondering if thats what I have to look forward to in a year...

Not rust . . . it was somethinng I did to try to make my stove return to that dark black look . . . and it was a mistake. I used black stove polish. I'm still not sure what happened, but the polish ended up kind of giving it a look that makes it look like my stove was coated in a thin layer of yellow pine pollen. I'm thinking that next summer I might attempt to use stove paint to "fix" this . . . it's not obnoxious to my liking . . . but it's definitely not that nice black matte color that I was hoping it would look like. And yes, I've had this stove for a little over a year.

Saw you on the news this morning giving a little girl a ride to school in a firetruck. Very cool.

Thanks. I've already caught hell from some seatbelt Nazi though who saw the same story . . . called the Assistant Chief insisting that the girl should have been in a booster seat (probably true) and that she was going to file a formal complaint with the police unless we sent out a press release apologizing for these actions and that if the police didn't do anything she would file a complaint with the State . . . no good deed goes unpunished, eh? Zealots . . . of all stripes . . . I mean don't get me wrong, I'm a big believer in safety (i.e. I am a public fire and life safety officer), but there's the right way of changing behaviors and actions and there is the wrong way -- threatening folks is the wrong way in my opinion.

SZ . . . in regards to rust, I should point out however that the trivet is rusting a bit along with the enamel steamer where a couple of paint chips have flecked off . . . guess I should add that to the list of things I should coat with stove paint next year. However, as noted, the stove discolor is stove polish . . . I would highly recommend you not use stove polish!!!

firefighterjake said:
SZ . . . in regards to rust, I should point out however that the trivet is rusting a bit along with the enamel steamer where a couple of paint chips have flecked off . . . guess I should add that to the list of things I should coat with stove paint next year. However, as noted, the stove discolor is stove polish . . . I would highly recommend you not use stove polish!!!

No I wont! At least not a different brand than what I use to black the antique stoves.
My cookstove was never painted I just blacked over the metal after it was sandblasted - I wish I had painted it since the blacking is not very water proof and dribbles of water quickly rust but are easily remedied by a quick buffing. The parlor stove was painted but I black over it anyway because I like the look -it's made by Rutland and has graphite in it so the finish has a satiny graphite look -as if you rubbed a soft pencil all over it. It does not change color w/ the heat.

Sorry to hear about the seat belt creep - I'm sure this person is utterly convinced that he/she is doing a great service - some people can't help but suck the joy of things.

FFJake,

With that addition to your Oslo it kind of looks like the Earth Stove Traditions 150 we have sitting in our garage. I'm still debating whether to install this Traditions stove or hold off for the Oslo. The Traditions needs a new cat and with the energy credit I am thinking efficiency wise the Oslo would be the better choice.

The Traditions stove is a cast iron stove with a marble top and marble on the ash lip - no ash pan though. The Traditions is no longer manufactured; bought out by Lennox.

Shari

traditions2.jpg

nice. i like what i see and hope it worls well for you, pete

Shari said:
FFJake,

With that addition to your Oslo it kind of looks like the Earth Stove Traditions 150 we have sitting in our garage. I'm still debating whether to install this Traditions stove or hold off for the Oslo. The Traditions needs a new cat and with the energy credit I am thinking efficiency wise the Oslo would be the better choice.

The Traditions stove is a cast iron stove with a marble top and marble on the ash lip - no ash pan though. The Traditions is no longer manufactured; bought out by Lennox.

Shari

traditions2.jpg

In your garage is a whole lot better deal than 30% off whatever though! Looks like a nice stove. Or maybe you can sell her and get your new one!

Wow, I like the look of that! What did it run you?
You should put a pic on the gallery. Somebody else on here once put a nice looking slab of stone on top of their stove but I couldn't find the pic when I went back to look for it.

Shari said:
FFJake,

Shari

traditions2.jpg

As the old Nike ad once went . . .

Just do it!

I think you would like the Oslo and its performance . . . just check out the many reviews . . . not many negative reviews . . . pretty much the only negative comments made is about the known issues of the sticking air control (once a design issue, now an issue typically resolved with some graphite powder) and the front door dumping ash on to the hearth when open (again, a nuisance issue more than a real issue.)

tickbitty said:
Wow, I like the look of that! What did it run you?
You should put a pic on the gallery. Somebody else on here once put a nice looking slab of stone on top of their stove but I couldn't find the pic when I went back to look for it.

Thanks Tickbitty.

It was a little more than I originally thought . . . especially since the first place quoted me $30 . . . which would have been fantastic except for the fact that they never called me back once I sent them the dimensions.

It then took me a while to find a counter top place that actually had some left over soapstone . . . they estimated $75-$125 . . . but that was before I also asked them to make some "feet" for the stone to rest on it . . . in the end it came in at $125 which included the fact that he put a nice lip on the stone and polished the top.

What type of stove polish did you use, jake?

I have (Rutland???) stove polish, and it blacked the stove very nicely. In fact, when I first saw the pics I noticed a bit of "whitening" of the metal, and was going to recommend that you get some. I guess not all products do the same good job.

Don't quote me on the manufacturer, but it came in a yellow tube.

EDIT: Found it! It's Williams brand. http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=52

Shari,

That's a really nice looking stove! I'd be inclinded to buy a cat for it and use it. If you find it doesn't work for you, sell it next season and by the stove of your choice while the tax credit is still offered.

karri0n said:
What type of stove polish did you use, jake?

I have (Rutland???) stove polish, and it blacked the stove very nicely. In fact, when I first saw the pics I noticed a bit of "whitening" of the metal, and was going to recommend that you get some. I guess not all products do the same good job.

Don't quote me on the manufacturer, but it came in a yellow tube.

EDIT: Found it! It's Williams brand. http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=52

Thanks KarriOn . . . I don't even remember what brand the stuff was . . . something I picked up at the local True Value. I'll give the Williams stove polish a shot . . . but since I'm pretty much burning 24-7 now it will probably be done in the Spring.

FFJake,

I just looked at my parts list and they say my marble top is separated from the stove top simply by 1/4" rope gasket. Remember, mine is marble don't know if the same would work for soapstone

Shari

Wet1 said:
Shari,

That's a really nice looking stove! I'd be inclinded to buy a cat for it and use it. If you find it doesn't work for you, sell it next season and by the stove of your choice while the tax credit is still offered.

I agree thats a very cool look. I'd replace the cat

Shari said:
FFJake,

I just looked at my parts list and they say my marble top is separated from the stove top simply by 1/4" rope gasket. Remember, mine is marble don't know if the same would work for soapstone

Shari

Shari do you have any actual pictures of yours? I'd love to see the marble top

Mike,

I did not intend to divert FFJake's posting about his great addition to his stove. I think it looks great and adds that special 'touch' in a grand way. I will pm you details on mine.

Shari

szmaine said:

How did you know it was him? Does his name tag say Firefighter Jake?

wendell said:
szmaine said:

How did you know it was him? Does his name tag say Firefighter Jake?

It was a Bangor firetruck, they said the little girl won the ride at the open house which I knew his station was having and they said Jake - seemed pretty conclusive...but I think he should have a tag made or at least a T-shirt.

Why on earth do I have to scroll all they way to the right to read things now - I didn't used to.
Is there some setting in my browser I need to change ?

Your post has given me a great idea, and just in time for Christmas. I don't think the T-shirt is enough. How about the Firefighter Jake action figure?!?

In the commercial we see Firefighter Jake drive the fire truck, cut and split fire wood and tend his Oslo. Think of all the accessories we could sell!! A fire truck, a cute little chainsaw and the ultimate working miniature wood stove.

We could all be rich!

With a mind like yours I surprized you're not rich already!

Ok, but want the wood splitting accessory to be like the old piggy banks, you put the penny in the splitter and when he runs it the penny goes in the bank somehow - I declare now it is my idea and am going to the patent office today.

szmaine said:
With a mind like yours I surprized you're not rich already!

I probably would be if I didn't spend so much time on here! %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.