1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

RE: Soapstone top for Jotul Oslo

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by firefighterjake, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    No, no, no . . . divert away . . . it's all good . . . pertains to stone tops on cast iron stoves . . . appropriate I think . . . besides I would love to see a pic too.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Yeah . . . if you stop by and ask for Jake at the BFD they'll know who you're talking about since I'm the only Jake . . . of course if you stop by and ask for me by my real name, Jason, they'll look at you with a dumb look or think you're talking about "Elvis" who is at Station 5.

And sorry . . . I had a name tag . . . but haven't worn it in several years . . . but yeah, short, balding firefighter with a big gut and thick glasses . . . that would be me. :)

The reason you have to scroll all the way to the right by the way is because of me . . . and more specifically all the pictures I posted in this thread. :)
  3. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I don't often use this very often . . . but I was just LOL. Funny stuff Wendell.

But while the kids might like playing with the fire truck and you guys might like playing with a miniature Oslo, do you think many kids would want to play with a short, fat and balding FirefighterJake action figure . . . even if that action figure came with a miniature chainsaw? :)

P.S. If you do go this route we'll have to be sure Kenny gets an action figure with me wearing speedos instead of a BFD uniform. :) ;)
  4. jugarf

jugarf New Member

Loc:
    Southern NY
    Shari, that Earth Stove is a beauty. Do they still make it?
  5. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Unfortunately no, it is no longer made but it is EPA rated and will pass muster for our sticky city codes and homeowners insurance underwriting.

Ladies and Gents, I've been meaning to get a photo of the actual stove but hubby has been bouncing back and forth in & out of the hospital so that's taken my attention. He's home now (hopefully home for awhile) and I will try to get a photo tomorrow.

Shari
  6. jugarf

jugarf New Member

Loc:
    Southern NY
    LOL. This website surely is addictive!!! If I can ever decide which stove to buy, going on here will be so anti-climatic! Is this like the thrill of the hunt? And, just when you thought you had it all figured out, Shari comes along with her beautiful Earth stove, and you can't even get it anymore.
  7. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Okay, finally got time to snatch a photo of mine. Remember, she's sitting the garage waiting for a future install. That's a marble top, not soapstone, but I wonder if soapstone wouldn't be a viable alternative. There is a raised lip that the marble sets inside of. Also, the ash lip is supposed to have marble but I didn't receive that when I bought this stove. Presumably the ash lip marble suffered dropped splits on it and was broken sometime in the past.

Oh yeah, I have disassembled the flue in order to remove the top to replace the cat but I do have all parts. The door is safely stored elsewhere so the glass doesn't get broke while the stove is stored in the garage. There are rear and bottom heat shields also. I had to remove the bottom heat shield in order to put this 365 lb. beast on a furniture dolly.

[​IMG]

Shari
  8. G-rott

G-rott Member

Loc:
    Petoskey Michigan
    Get that BEAST installed, it won't put out BTU's in the garage(maybe when you move it). Some elbow grease and that will be one sharp looking wood burinin' machine.

Have a warm winter,

Garett
  9. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Garrett,

I would love to get this installed asap but 'life' remains in my way. (Hubby has had continuing health issues and was in the hospital 4 times in the last month among many other things.) I wanted to get the stove painted this summer, that didn't happen. I'm thinking of replacing the marble top with a custom soapstone top. All it takes it time and while I'm waiting I read hearth.com (learn every day from that) and continue to stockpile wood for burning in our fireplace w/blower (man! it's hot in here tonight!). I need a cat and possibly one other part but won't know for sure until I get someone out here to help me lift that moose-heavy top off.

Anyway, I thought I would post the specs on this stove also.

Heat capacity 1800 sq.ft.
    BTU 49,037
    Emissions 4.1
    Efficiency 72%
    No OAK
    Log length 22”
    Firebox 2.5 c.f.
    Flue 6”
    Approx. burn time 8-12 hrs.
    Front loading
    Catalyst yes
    weight 365lbs.
    Blower optional
    Lab tested
    EPA certified
  10. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    My opinion.

A) I would save my change and keep the original marble top since I doubt there would be a lot of thermal mass gained by going with the soapstone top and the marble has worked fine up to this point.

B) I would keep stockpiling the wood . . . if not for this year, next year . . . besides working with wood can be very therapeutic and is a great stress reliever.

C) Having a working woodstove is great . . . having a spouse in good health is better . . . take care of the important things in life first . . . and yes, that would be taking care of your spouse first and foremost.
  11. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks FFJake for the encouragement. We seem to just take one day at a time around here.

Shari
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.