RE: Soapstone top for Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shari said:
Mike,

I did not intend to divert FFJake's posting about his great addition to his stove. I think it looks great and adds that special 'touch' in a grand way. I will pm you details on mine.

Shari

No, no, no . . . divert away . . . it's all good . . . pertains to stone tops on cast iron stoves . . . appropriate I think . . . besides I would love to see a pic too.

szmaine said:
wendell said:
szmaine said:
Saw you on the news this morning giving a little girl a ride to school in a firetruck. Very cool.

How did you know it was him? Does his name tag say Firefighter Jake?

It was a Bangor firetruck, they said the little girl won the ride at the open house which I knew his station was having and they said Jake - seemed pretty conclusive...but I think he should have a tag made or at least a T-shirt.

Why on earth do I have to scroll all they way to the right to read things now - I didn't used to.
Is there some setting in my browser I need to change ?

Yeah . . . if you stop by and ask for Jake at the BFD they'll know who you're talking about since I'm the only Jake . . . of course if you stop by and ask for me by my real name, Jason, they'll look at you with a dumb look or think you're talking about "Elvis" who is at Station 5.

And sorry . . . I had a name tag . . . but haven't worn it in several years . . . but yeah, short, balding firefighter with a big gut and thick glasses . . . that would be me. :)

The reason you have to scroll all the way to the right by the way is because of me . . . and more specifically all the pictures I posted in this thread. :)

wendell said:
Your post has given me a great idea, and just in time for Christmas. I don't think the T-shirt is enough. How about the Firefighter Jake action figure?!?

In the commercial we see Firefighter Jake drive the fire truck, cut and split fire wood and tend his Oslo. Think of all the accessories we could sell!! A fire truck, a cute little chainsaw and the ultimate working miniature wood stove.

We could all be rich!

I don't often use this very often . . . but I was just LOL. Funny stuff Wendell.

But while the kids might like playing with the fire truck and you guys might like playing with a miniature Oslo, do you think many kids would want to play with a short, fat and balding FirefighterJake action figure . . . even if that action figure came with a miniature chainsaw? :)

P.S. If you do go this route we'll have to be sure Kenny gets an action figure with me wearing speedos instead of a BFD uniform. :) ;)

Unfortunately no, it is no longer made but it is EPA rated and will pass muster for our sticky city codes and homeowners insurance underwriting.

Ladies and Gents, I've been meaning to get a photo of the actual stove but hubby has been bouncing back and forth in & out of the hospital so that's taken my attention. He's home now (hopefully home for awhile) and I will try to get a photo tomorrow.

Shari

wendell said:
szmaine said:
With a mind like yours I surprized you're not rich already!

I probably would be if I didn't spend so much time on here! %-P

LOL. This website surely is addictive!!! If I can ever decide which stove to buy, going on here will be so anti-climatic! Is this like the thrill of the hunt? And, just when you thought you had it all figured out, Shari comes along with her beautiful Earth stove, and you can't even get it anymore.

Okay, finally got time to snatch a photo of mine. Remember, she's sitting the garage waiting for a future install. That's a marble top, not soapstone, but I wonder if soapstone wouldn't be a viable alternative. There is a raised lip that the marble sets inside of. Also, the ash lip is supposed to have marble but I didn't receive that when I bought this stove. Presumably the ash lip marble suffered dropped splits on it and was broken sometime in the past.

Oh yeah, I have disassembled the flue in order to remove the top to replace the cat but I do have all parts. The door is safely stored elsewhere so the glass doesn't get broke while the stove is stored in the garage. There are rear and bottom heat shields also. I had to remove the bottom heat shield in order to put this 365 lb. beast on a furniture dolly.

traditions_mine2.jpg

Shari

Get that BEAST installed, it won't put out BTU's in the garage(maybe when you move it). Some elbow grease and that will be one sharp looking wood burinin' machine.

Have a warm winter,

Garett

Garrett,

I would love to get this installed asap but 'life' remains in my way. (Hubby has had continuing health issues and was in the hospital 4 times in the last month among many other things.) I wanted to get the stove painted this summer, that didn't happen. I'm thinking of replacing the marble top with a custom soapstone top. All it takes it time and while I'm waiting I read hearth.com (learn every day from that) and continue to stockpile wood for burning in our fireplace w/blower (man! it's hot in here tonight!). I need a cat and possibly one other part but won't know for sure until I get someone out here to help me lift that moose-heavy top off.

Anyway, I thought I would post the specs on this stove also.

Heat capacity 1800 sq.ft.
BTU 49,037
Emissions 4.1
Efficiency 72%
No OAK
Log length 22”
Firebox 2.5 c.f.
Flue 6”
Approx. burn time 8-12 hrs.
Front loading
Catalyst yes
weight 365lbs.
Blower optional
Lab tested
EPA certified

Shari said:
Garrett,

I would love to get this installed asap but 'life' remains in my way. (Hubby has had continuing health issues and was in the hospital 4 times in the last month among many other things.) I wanted to get the stove painted this summer, that didn't happen. I'm thinking of replacing the marble top with a custom soapstone top. All it takes it time and while I'm waiting I read hearth.com (learn every day from that) and continue to stockpile wood for burning in our fireplace w/blower (man! it's hot in here tonight!). I need a cat and possibly one other part but won't know for sure until I get someone out here to help me lift that moose-heavy top off.

Anyway, I thought I would post the specs on this stove also.

. . .

My opinion.

A) I would save my change and keep the original marble top since I doubt there would be a lot of thermal mass gained by going with the soapstone top and the marble has worked fine up to this point.

B) I would keep stockpiling the wood . . . if not for this year, next year . . . besides working with wood can be very therapeutic and is a great stress reliever.

C) Having a working woodstove is great . . . having a spouse in good health is better . . . take care of the important things in life first . . . and yes, that would be taking care of your spouse first and foremost.

Thanks FFJake for the encouragement. We seem to just take one day at a time around here.

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.