RE: Soapstone topper for Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I know this topic has been bandied about a bit in the past . . . but I'm looking for some more and fresh opinions as I'm giving this some serious thought.

I've got soapstone envy (don't tell my Jotul though) and ever since the thread appeared showing that the Oslo once had the option of having a soapstone topper I've been intrigued . . . and my wife is now intrigued.

I realize a simple slab of soapstone on top will not result in the same effects as a stove like the Hearthstone or Woodstock line . . . but I am wondering if there would be some benefits besides the possible look . . . or conversely if there would be any negatives.

So here are my questions. . .

1) Pros/cons to adding a soapstone topper to a cast iron stove like the Oslo?

2) If I was to fab up a top what would be a good thickness in your own opinion?

3) Jotul recommends placing a stovetop temp on the top of the stove in one of the four corners . . . putting a large soapstone top would make this impossible.

-- In this case would using a IR thermometer and "aiming" it at a small exposed cast iron stove top section result in a decent temp reading (since the soapstone top could be made slightly smaller than the stove's top dimensions) . . . or would the soapstone topper on top of the stove throw the temps out of whack?

-- Could I get reasonably accurate temp readings (as accurate as magnetic thermometers get) by placing the thermometer on the upper side?

-- Would I be better off nixing the stove top thermometer and relying more on a flue thermometer?

-- Would I be better off nixing the entire idea and being happy with the stove I've got . . . and maybe just place a slab of soapstone underneath the Oslo as a way of deluding myself into thinking I have a soapstone stove? :) ;)

Bump . . . no opinions . . . is this possible . . . no one has anything good or bad to comment about this thread? ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Bump . . . no opinions . . . is this possible . . . no one has anything good or bad to comment about this thread? ;) :)
I've been waiting and watching also. Do you have a picture of the stove with the top. Sounds good to me and it may increase secondary burning ?? Would make an attractive feature.
Ed

I think adding a soapstone top is a good idea IF the top has been engineered to operate with the stove.

Obviously a lot of fine tuning goes into the better woodstoves. For example, there are definite burning differences between keeping the damper open 1/4 vs. closed (which of course is not fully closed, but that's the point). I imagine that if I were to mess with my stove design using common sense, like adding more soapstone to the top, it wouldn't necesarily improve efficiency.

Perhaps the company has some info.

Vic99 said:
I think adding a soapstone top is a good idea IF the top has been engineered to operate with the stove.

Obviously a lot of fine tuning goes into the better woodstoves. For example, there are definite burning differences between keeping the damper open 1/4 vs. closed (which of course is not fully closed, but that's the point). I imagine that if I were to mess with my stove design using common sense, like adding more soapstone to the top, it wouldn't necesarily improve efficiency.

Perhaps the company has some info.

I agree with you . . . I'm not the adventurous sort who thinks there is a better way of doing things (that would be my brother who tries to save a buck and fabricate his own parts for his snowmobile only to find out that they don't work as well or as long as the OEM part.)

However, Jotul apparently once offered the soapstone topper as an option . . . which is why I'm intrigued with the idea of making my own since the local Jotul dealer said they no longer (or cannot) get the topper anymore.

i think the real Question is----why dont jotul have the option anymore---????

Status
Not open for further replies.