1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

RE: Soot from oak . . . gotta ask

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by firefighterjake, Nov 5, 2012.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Under the For Sale/Wanted a new member is looking for soot from oak . . . I'm still scratching my head trying to figure this one out.

Any guesses as to what one would use soot from oak for . . . originally I was thinking maybe they meant ash from oak to make soap or something . . . but I cannot imagine anyone looking specifically for ash even.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CageMaster

CageMaster Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Canada
    I do know that some people have asked for my ash before to use for roosters...apparently they "dust" themselves by rolling in it

read this article http://omniskies.com/quail.shtml
  3. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    i know when i was a kid growing up, my folks used to take the ash and put it in the garden. supposed to help put back some of the mineral or ph...think it might be a poor mans fertilizer not sure.

cass
  4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    It helps raise the PH when used in a garden, like lime. Also the Carbon in it will help bind up soil toxins and such, and also will help add something that will also it to get space in soil particles hold moisture better and some of the coal will further breakdown helping to release somestuff into the soil.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Didn't realize oak soot specifically was good . . .
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Jake - unless there is some specific use for it that I am unaware of, I doubt it was soot they were looking for. Probably the ash. Soot is really pretty nasty stuff with lots of yucky stuff in it. I sure as heck wouldn't be putting on a food plot or anything.
  7. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    never heard of that one before...

cass
  8. mesuno

mesuno Member

Loc:
    UK
    Might they be talking about biochar?
    http://www.woodstovewizard.com/biochar.html

Adding black carbon (charcoal, soot etc...) to soil has been shown to boost soil fertility over the long term in some soils. I'm not sure why they would want oak char specifically.

Ash on the other hand contains potassium and lots of other nice trace metals that plants need as part of their metabolic processes. Metals in ash tend to be fairly water soluble too, so can be easily absorbed by plant roots.
  9. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Oak... I wonder if it has anything to do with brewing? White Oak casks and chips are used to flavor alcohol. I know the oak casks are charred on the inside. I wonder if the OP asked for the wrong substance.
  10. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    This came to my mind as well.
    Charred oak flavor in moonshine is pretty common...not that i know anything about that though
  11. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    There are a number of questionable things about that post. So I have pulled it till the boss can take a look at it.
  12. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Nope - the use in brewing booze requires the tannins to be available. As the booze moves in and out of the walls of the barrels the tannins are dissolved into the booze (gives color and flavor). That is also why they are only a one use item for whiskey. Ash will have virtually no tannins left and soot would be undesirable as well.

Charcoal - different thing.
  13. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    I was thinking the same thing but didn't know who to go to. " Gut feeling ".
  14. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    When I lived in a country which didn't permit the sale of alcohol, some resourceful folks made their own grain alcohol (stainless steel stills, copper condensers, etc.). A common flavoring was to take oak chips (sometimes sold for barbecue grills), toast them in the oven, let them soak in the grain alcohol for a few weeks, then filter them out. They imparted a golden brown color and a yummy taste...so I'm told (;)).
    milleo and basod like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Still do.
  16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Just to to any of the mods if questionable and let them do their thing.
    milleo likes this.
  17. ailanthus

ailanthus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Shen Valley, VA
    Mix with used motor oil for fence or barn paint? I think that's usually creosote, but maybe that's what it's about.