re-splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
if I re split will it aid in drying or help speed seasoning ?

re-splitting will increase the surface area and speed up drying.

I sometimes for convienience I leave my wood for a year before I split it, but once split I always make sure I season the wood properly before burning.

Split it smaller and put some inside so that the heat from the fire will help dry it out.

The smaller the splits the faster it will season. We burn in a small stove so most of my big splits are like most others mid to smallish splits. The simple answer is yes, splitting splits will help it to season/dry faster.

Yes, it will season faster, but it will also burn faster, and probably hotter. It is very easy to overfire by loading a stove w/ small splits and letting it rip... Like lots of things it's a tradeoff - faster seasoning vs. giving up the all night slow burn of the big splits.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.