RE: Spring must be here in many parts of the Country

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
The number of posts here at hearth.com seem to have dropped off quite a bit in the past week or so . . . just a month or two back if I didn't check in at hearth.com in two or three days I would have 5 or 7 pages of new threads in just one section to peruse . . . now I'm down to a couple of pages.

I think I've had one fire in the last month. Between sunshine and warmer temps the gas furnace is sufficient. The good thing is that I still have over a cord of firewood. I'll probably wind up with a cord that I will let season for another year. I buy the wood from a nursery and they tell me it's been seasoning for about 8 months before I buy it, so my leftover wood will be 1 3/4 years seasoned by next burning season..... yay

I had a few splits leftover from last year and they burned GREAT this year (very noticable difference). You guys and girls who have the space around the house are lucky that you can burn long seasoned wood.

YUP, I only needed to snowblow three inches yesterday - and it was mostly slush.

Boy do I miss upstate NY, (Rochester and Albany). Winters never seemed to end but the rest of the year made up for it.
I've noticed a drop off in posts, too. The die-hard regulars will be around for the rest of the non-burning season.

I need to do an official count of wood used this season, but it looks like much less than normal and it's been a cold Winter. The difference is I installed new windows and am also finally burning seasoned wood for the first time. Seasoned wood does really make a difference!

I'm looking at 4" of snow from last night. I was hoping for a few days of frozen ground to haul 7-8 cords I have bucked since the first of the year to the house. There ws 6"-8" of slush and mud over the trail last night so I'm thinking I can forget hauling anything out of that woods for several weeks. The deeper snow this year probably caused the frost line to be shallower, so it may dry up a wee bit sooner than last year.

There's already plenty to split at the house so it's really not a bad situation until the bugs, heat, and poison ivy get bad !

ATB,
Mike

I have to agree, I usually make my rounds on the forum once or twice a week and it's been a few weeks for me now. I'm down to burning 2x a day, the daytime temps are definitely moderating and helping with less burning. I look forward to the break, some years it seems like work and others I really enjoy it. This was an enjoyable season for me, mostly because all the prep work before the season began was done. I'm excited about going outside and bucking and splitting again, love the spring time work....

Yup. Sap should be running... next week looks like days in the 40s and nights in the teens.

Matt

I'm still burning my woodstove here in California. Just 2 weeks ago I had 37" of snow on the ground and no power for 4 days. This has been a bad winter. It all started with 2 feet of wet, heavy snow before Thanksgiving and I was out of power for 8 days. We've had a total of 3 power outages this winter that lasted 3 days or more. I'm very thankful for my woodatove!

Jake, I surely have noticed it too. It doesn't seem to take very long to go through the recent posts. Well, I can use the time to do some jobs that need to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.